GIJOE's Desert Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GIJOE's Desert Explorer

*Update#5 07-18-2008* (See bottom of page 4)

*Update#4 04-06-2008* (See middle of page 4)

*Update#3 03-14-2008* (See top of page 4)

*Update#2 03-08-2008* (See bottom of page 3)

*Update#1 08-22-2007* (See page 3)

Thats right I am back :)

Heres the new Explorer:
1998 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 5.0L V8
This one is identical to my old one.
Hopefully I wont Roll this one.

Most of you already know what I was trying to do with my old Explorer but for the people who dont know here you go.

Plans:
This is going to be a full blown race truck and prerunner. I plan on racing either 1450 or 1400 in MDR and maybe SCORE.
Heres just a few plans right now I will add more later.
-Full roll cage
-Camburg long travel front suspension (Already have)
-3 linked in the rear
-custom 9 inch rearend
-King coilovers and bump stops on all corners (maybe King havent decided yet)
-Fiberglass front and rear fenders and fiberglass hood
-Custom front and rear bumpers
-4 racing seats
-Tires and wheels
-All required racing equpiment

Heres pictures of the new Explorer.
2X2.jpg

2X1.jpg

Heres a picture of my Camburg long travel kit.
LT.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys, I've been out of the loop for about 3 years so I'm still going with my knowledge back in 2003. GIJoe, I remember you sending me messages back in 2004 about being the protoype for this kit. I didn't have money then so now I'm looking to complete my long awaited explorer. Thanks for the help. I'll plan do to the same thing you're doing so can't wait for a complete write up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I will try to get pics of the glass on the Explorer but I am having problems with camera.

any update? also, just curious as to why you went with urethane pivots as opposed to heim joints for the upper arms? i know when you got the kit it wasn't a production piece yet so i'm guessing they only offered it at that time with the urethane pivots?

No new updates right now.
Those were the only upper arms they made when I got the kit. Camburg said I could trade them for uppers with heims so I might do that.

if they'll let you i would...

Sorry for no updates I have been busy with work.
I have ordered and bought a lot of parts now its just finding time to put the parts on.

New parts:
Perry's Fab N Fiber rear glass
(2) King 2.5x10" coil-overs with remote reservoirs
(2) King 2.5 bump stops
(2) Hella horns
Front clear corners

Now all I have to do is get the rear glass on and measure for the rear axle then buy all the rear suspension parts.

Joe-long time no see....good to see that you're getting this project closer to being runnin...so what exactly are the plans for the rear? deavers? don't forget to keep us updated and i'm sure you know that pics are always appreciated...good luck

I wanted to link it but after the researching I did. I think it will be more efficient and stable if I go with leafs.
So I think I might go with Deavers with the baja bushings on both ends. Which should make the leafs act exactly like links. Then I am going to get another set of custom shackles I help design made by Blitzkrieg Motorsports since I left the last set on my other Explorer. Then I was thinking (2)2.5" King shocks with remote reservoirs and (2)2.5" King bump stops. And then a custom made 9" rear end. I think all this should be a good setup for the rear. I hope it will perform just as good as the front will.

wow...ya sounds like it should be a pretty nice setup...can't wait to see it...in action...what ever happened to that black blitzkrieg explorer? i saw it on the road about a year ago but haven't heard anything since...anyways not to get off topic but keep us posted.

Travis (the guy who owns Dirt Alliance) flipped it on the 55 freeway a few weeks after I rolled mine.

Travis (the guy who owns Dirt Alliance) flipped it on the 55 freeway a few weeks after I rolled mine.

ya that broke my heart, that thing was sweet. havent seen it since. it had the cantileaver rear suspension on it i think. that was pretty nice. maybe if it was caged they could have saved it. choped it and put a new roof on. but o well.

have you considered that rear suspension system? it is pretty pricey tho

I dont want that type of setup because it goes where the spare tire would be. And I planned on putting the fuel cell right there. So I can get weight in the rear to have it weigh almost as much as the front of the explorer. I want to have the weight of the explorer as close to even as possible so I dont run into problems of having the nose dive on landings or have problems in the whoops.

what size cell are you planning on going with?

I dont know yet. I want to try and fit at least a 30 gal cell there but we will see. I might have to get a custom made one.

Still just collecting parts.
And trying find a way for me to build the cage or have someone else build the cage. See that I have the knowledge of how to build the cage but I dont have all the equipment I would need.

Cage eh? Sounds like you missed out on the last Cage Building party thre in CA!

No I just had to work. Work seems to always get in the way of me building this thing. I have been working almost all weekends for the past 3 months.

Back