Glove box door rattle/squeak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glove box door rattle/squeak

I didn't make it to the appointment yet. I did fold up the cloth wipe that came with the vehicle for the display screen and placed it between the left side of the glove box door edge and the dashboard frame. That seemed to stop the rattling.

Although I agree with poster above. Ford needs to make this right.
It’s important that you’re happy with your purchase. Please let me know via private message if you would like my help by escalating this concern for you. I would need your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage to do so.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't make it to the appointment yet. I did fold up the cloth wipe that came with the vehicle for the display screen and placed it between the left side of the glove box door edge and the dashboard frame. That seemed to stop the rattling.
That is exactly where I put a strip of the foam tape with the self adhesive back I have mentioned in previous posts. I attached it to the body of the glove box on the left side. That solved the rattling problem with my '09 Highlander. It also did not seem to have any adjustment to make the closure tighter. Simple and cheap fix.

Thought I had made an improvement

I put two layers of electrical tape in the holes where the door latches so there would not be hard plastic rubbing together. I had no rattle for almost a week, but it came back yesterday.

Hopefully it will get worse, so the dealer can't help but hear it.

i just had this start happening (~4k miles). At first, i couldn't tell where it was coming from. But, my wife was in the passenger seat on sunday and pushed in on the glove box and it stopped. As soon as she let go, it rattled / vibrated again. She opened it up and closed it hard and it stopped for about a day. It happened again yesterday and i had to open / close / rearrange contents several times before it would stop. Very annoying... :thumbdwn:

+1

Has ANYONE gotten a permanent solution for this problem?? I have had my explorer with approximately 3300 miles on it in for service 4 times already. At my last visit, they completely replaced the glovebox but the rattle returned within 2 days. This is extremely annoying. Now I can't get a return call from the service department!! I think it's time to look into the lemon law!!

Has ANYONE gotten a permanent solution for this problem?? I have had my explorer with approximately 3300 miles on it in for service 4 times already. At my last visit, they completely replaced the glovebox but the rattle returned within 2 days. This is extremely annoying. Now I can't get a return call from the service department!! I think it's time to look into the lemon law!!

I don't think you can Lemon Law a vehicle due to a rattle.... I do understand your frustration though, I have a moonroof rattle that's been driving me insane these last couple weeks since it has gotten cold here in Ohio. I tightened up some screws this afternoon, finally, I'm hoping I won't hear it on the way home.

If it is the glove box door that is rattling, see my post of 07-07-2011 above. It cured the problem I had with a rattle. The foam tape was found in the section of the hardware store where they keep the weather stripping items.

I had mine repaired in Mid September on the third visit and after a discussion with the General Manager. The Service Manager actually worked on it. He added more thickness to the door stops on each side of the door. Before the fix, if I pushed on the door when it was closed, it would move 1/4" or more. After the fix, the door will not move at all. It seems to have eliminated my problem. The Service Mgr said that he contacted Ford for ideas, but they had no advice.

Your rattle may be different, but I hope this helps.

I had mine repaired in Mid September on the third visit and after a discussion with the General Manager. The Service Manager actually worked on it. He added more thickness to the door stops on each side of the door. Before the fix, if I pushed on the door when it was closed, it would move 1/4" or more. After the fix, the door will not move at all. It seems to have eliminated my problem. The Service Mgr said that he contacted Ford for ideas, but they had no advice.

Your rattle may be different, but I hope this helps.
That is basically what the foam strips did. It added thickness between the door and dash.

I also have the glove box area rattle. I've not had a passenger work it with me, but I've ruled-out the contents of the glove box being the cause. And, like other posts noted, opening and closing the box will usually stop or reduce the rattle. Also it seems to stop if I press it closed more tightly (pressing with my hand at the top edge of the glove box). The worst part in terms of getting it fixed is that it is erratic. It doesn't just rattle any time you're on a rough surface. It's hard to predict, some times when I expect it to rattle, it doesn't. I can just see taking it to the dealer, at which time I may or may not be able to get it to rattle, and even if I do, they may do something ineffective, drive it around the block, and declare it fixed. Obviously I'm not alone, though. I may try the cushions between the dash and glove box, but Ford needs to acknowledge this and address it with a prescribed fix, rather than have individual dealers winging it with who-knows-what in attempted fixes. A modern $45,000 vehicle should not have an embarrassing rattle like this that makes one forget about all that's right with the vehicle and suggests it's poorly made like the old days.

Fix..

I also have the glove box area rattle. I've not had a passenger work it with me, but I've ruled-out the contents of the glove box being the cause. And, like other posts noted, opening and closing the box will usually stop or reduce the rattle. Also it seems to stop if I press it closed more tightly (pressing with my hand at the top edge of the glove box). The worst part in terms of getting it fixed is that it is erratic. It doesn't just rattle any time you're on a rough surface. It's hard to predict, some times when I expect it to rattle, it doesn't. I can just see taking it to the dealer, at which time I may or may not be able to get it to rattle, and even if I do, they may do something ineffective, drive it around the block, and declare it fixed. Obviously I'm not alone, though. I may try the cushions between the dash and glove box, but Ford needs to acknowledge this and address it with a prescribed fix, rather than have individual dealers winging it with who-knows-what in attempted fixes. A modern $45,000 vehicle should not have an embarrassing rattle like this that makes one forget about all that's right with the vehicle and suggests it's poorly made like the old days.

I bought some black adhesive weather stripping and ran it from just below the stopper on the glove box to that bottom. I did it on both sides. The door is a little harder to close but it is silent. No rattle at all. I know that truck shouldn't do it, but I'm so hesitant to take it into the dealer and have them mess something else up.

I bought some black adhesive weather stripping and ran it from just below the stopper on the glove box to that bottom. I did it on both sides. The door is a little harder to close but it is silent. No rattle at all. I know that truck shouldn't do it, but I'm so hesitant to take it into the dealer and have them mess something else up.
As per my posts above, I did much the same thing on my previous Highlander only I used the self adhesive foam weatherstripping and only needed it on one side. It did the trick. Never did go to the dealer. It was still in plac when I tranferred the lease.
Welcome to the Forum DestinDrew.:wavey: All the best in 2012.

Same issue, just picked up from the dealer, still have the rattle. In a previous post about the rattle with the glove box, I remember some one posting adding washers under the rubber bumpers, my dealer could not do this. I'll give a try this weekend.

I have this too! For a while thought it was in the dash, but as soon as I opened the GB it went away. Close the GB, back again.

Will tackle this in the Spring, as I just put her away for the winter.

santa6m.jpg

I'll give the dealer one more chance after the new years break. The I will try to find a fix, and post a fix

I tried the cushion between the glove box frame and the corner edge of the door. It worked for a while but the rattle came back and the pressure from the cusion even warped the door a little. The dealership said the rattle was due to the glove box itself so they replaced it under warranty. I still get rattles!! Not as frequent but it still happens.

We need to get Ford to address this and not the individual dealerships.

...Will tackle this in the Spring, as I just put her away for the winter...
Your Explorer must get awfully lonely, JETZ! Drop me a line in the Spring if you’d like my help.

I'll give the dealer one more chance after the new years break. The I will try to find a fix, and post a fix
...I have had my explorer with approximately 3300 miles on it in for service 4 times already. At my last visit, they completely replaced the glovebox but the rattle returned within 2 days...
I also have the glove box area rattle. I've not had a passenger work it with me, but I've ruled-out the contents of the glove box being the cause...
Spengracin, scgal82, & Jim30096,

I still have your information from previous messages, so PM me if I can lend a hand.

I tried the cushion between the glove box frame and the corner edge of the door. It worked for a while but the rattle came back and the pressure from the cusion even warped the door a little...
rwarnaca,

I want to help take care of the rattle by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Glove box rattle

I used the adhesive foam door tape. Put it clear across the top tucked under where the top of the glove box hits the dashboard. Has not rattled since. If you tuck it up under the dash lip it is not visable when the glove box is open.
Good luck all, this worked very well for me.

I used the adhesive foam door tape. Put it clear across the top tucked under where the top of the glove box hits the dashboard. Has not rattled since. If you tuck it up under the dash lip it is not visable when the glove box is open.

Pictures would help if possible
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after all my posts it is is nice to see that finally someone else tried this with success.
I hope it stays nice and quiet. I know it did for me in my previous vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum lmello. :wavey:
Hope you have a Happy and rattle free New Year!:thumbsup:

Peter

Back