Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Gman's Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Last week was a busy one for me between the ole 9-5er, and a weekend spent working on the tow pig with friends.

I did get the RTT ready for install, and we got it up on the rack, and bolted down. I need to adjust it a little, before final positioning. Not a big deal here, but....

We placed the RTT on in the driveway, then quickly did a squinted one eye neck snap, after looking at the height of this, and the door opening. The ladder had to come off. Tape measure, now said they matched in height. lol Ok, air down to 4 psi, and pushed it back in. Ladder won't go back on (bolted) until it's time to use it for an adventure.

Next up will be the awning mounts, and get that on. It has Led lights built into it, so it has to be wired as well. Already have the wire for it coming thru a cable gland for it, and to the panel switch.
      Edit: Awning is installed, and wired up. Tent was centered over the screw jack, bolted tight, and cover installed. Looking pretty slick!

No pics yet, but it will be worth the wait.

I realized last night, that I only have 1/4" of room left between tire and fender center tube brace, after max up travel on the axles. I might remove the center tube brace to gain another 1" for mud/rocks/snow stuck to the tires. This isn't really a big deal, as there are other bracing and the 12 ga fenders are fully welded to the 1.75" outer tubes, and 1" tubes at the main frame. I have a lot of work left to do on these fenders as is, and this will just be a minor thing. Just glad I noticed now, not on a trail.

Last edited: October 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      These tent & awning pics are going to have to hold you & I until I get it out and opened up.

On without the cover, and showing the green 3.5" thick mattress. It's folded in half when stored.

RTT no cover pass side view of mattress.jpg

Front close up cover on

RTT Front close up.jpg

Rear close up

RTT close up rear view.jpg

Pass rear corner

RTT on pass rear side med view.jpg

Dr side rear corner

RTT on dr side view rear.jpg

Dr side

RTT on dr side med view.jpg

Full frontal (heh heh)

RTT on full frontal view.jpg

Gap between tent and awning for zipper access

RTT gap to Awning front view.jpg

Full view front dr side angle

RTT on far view dr side front.jpg

Pass side full view (blurry, again...sorry!)

RTT pass side view full.jpg

What the RTT looks like open (stolen pic from CVT site) Without the annex room on

Shasta-EV-without Annex.jpg

With annex on. Ladder is inside this room, so you can come down and not be in the elements to change, and big enough not to step on any guests sleeping. It has a thick vinyl floor, a door on each side, and completely sealed up to the top. I purchased and installed an extra track, to keep the cover on, and not have to use the same track for both cover & annex. Speeds up setup/tear down times, and adds convenience. This is opened to the rear, where mine will open to the pass side, and awning opens on the drivers side, and wraps 270* around the rear of the trailer.

Mt Shasta EV Pioneer with annex on.jpg
      Mt.-Shasta-EV.jpg

And the severe weather cover on

RTT CVT Cold-Weather-Cover.jpg

It has a rainfly as well, and both tent & fly, have clear vinyl/screens skylights, for an open sky view from inside. Led lighting inside it as well.

Stargazer1 open interior view.png

This is the awning. I opted for the red perimeter stripe for a visual effect instead of one solid color. It has LED lights built into the arms, and a switch wired in to the panel already. I made a harness for it last night, using the weather proof quick disconnects. Awning side harness stows away inside when zipped up. Its 13 foot long on the side, and 13 foot across the rear. Self supporting, but does come with high wind tie down straps. I made strap points to the corner led pod light brackets just for these, and have special re-bar type stakes for them too.

ARQ4WD 270 Awning.jpg

One of two 11 lb pancake propane tank & mount. Still have to modify to shorten wall side to bring it in another 2". Will be one on each side.

Dr side propane tank & mount.jpg

LED Pod with smoked lens. 4 total, on each corner

LED pod with smoked cover rear dr side.jpg

That's it for today kiddo's!

• Like Like x 2
    4. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Started on the fenders yesterday. It's time to get them prepped for the Raptor liner.

Stripped the temporary chassis paint off the Passenger underside, and removed the center (front to back) support tube. Gained another 1.5" tire clearance.
      Masked it all off, and sprayed the self etching primer to the raw steel. That only took me 9 hours, on my back, on cold concrete.

My back, shoulders, and neck, feel like I was in a car accident this morning from doing that. Going to try to attempt the other side today. Pics later tonight,.... hopefully.

5. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Get a couple of those $5 movers blankets on your next visit to Harbor Freight. Lay on those instead of concrete. Throw away when they get too ugly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      That's a good idea. I actually have one of those. Thanks.

I haven't laid anything down, as I am making such a mess stripping this chassis paint off, I have been sweeping it all up as I go so I am not rolling around in it constantly. lol

Think I have over stretched my quads, sitting ass to ankles, shins to floor. Walking around with rubber legs today. The area above the wheels, are too high to lay down, and too low to kneel upright. I can't sit Indian style on my ass and work at the same time, or I will fall backwards. lmao! It's Hell getting old.

2.5 hrs of scraping so far, and 1/4 done. This side isn't coming off like the other. A lot of it will have to come off with the paint remover wheel and grinder. Time for the dust mask.

7. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Sounds like its the same height as parts of my Explorer. Too high to reach lying on my back, too low to sit up underneath. Sometimes, I rest my head on a 6x6 block of wood to keep from getting a sore neck. Sounds weird, but it was there and it works.

• Like Like x 1
    8. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Another long day, to wrap up another weekend on this thing. Only carnage was a paint chip in my eye, and a good flush, with some Q-tip pokes to get it out. I wish the eye didn't have a memory for pain, because it still feels like it's in there, but it's not.

Not much to share here really, with this work, and kind of a boring update. Ahh well, for documentations sake......

Way way back before the trailer made it home from the frame build, it had the chassis paint put on the underside of the fenders, just to keep it rust free, knowing it had to be removed someday. Knowing it would be a long time, before it was ready for the liner, this was an easy solution, so we could move on to the next step back then. In hindsight, I wish we had just did the undersides, like the top, with the acid etch primer, and body paint. This was a pain to remove, but it worked. No rust was found this weekend.

The Raptor liner can't go over this chassis stuff, as it doesn't bond to the metal like a bonding primer does. It would flake off, if I went over it with the heavy liner, and the tires are going to be hammering it with debris. I actually don't like it all, but James (Body shop guy) said the stuff he uses will work just fine for it. One day, out of the blue, he sent me pictures of the frame on the rack, and painted with it. Guess he had a slow day, and was bored.

Any hoot....
      After cutting off the center tube under the skins, and grinding the welds off, I began scraping it off with 1" putty knives, (flex and stiff). They got the majority of it, then out came the brushless grinder with sanding discs, wire wheels, and paint stripper wheel. Hand sand with 80g blocks, cleaned off with the air hose, then a final acetone bath. Funsville.

Masked off what needed for spraying the acid etch primer, and shot it all a couple of times. It's now ready for the topsides to be scuffed/cleaned/masked, for the Raptor Liner coating. Will try to find time during the week, if not, next weekend.

20181013_110640.jpg
      20181014_103550.jpg
      20181014_103621.jpg
      20181014_103535.jpg

When the tires are on, you can't even see inside the fender wells. I didn't have to be as picky in here, and I did leave a couple of booger welds alone, as they won't be seen. It might haunt me in my sleep, knowing they are there tho. lol

I have a fresh tube of body seam filler to use here and there, before the liner goes on, to seal some things up tight.

Summer has officially left, and I think we might get 2 weeks of fall in, before it turns to winter here. 90's with AC on last week, and lows in the 30's with furnace on now. Fall is my favorite season, and I feel ripped off. bah...

9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Keep it up with the weather changing while you can. We just bean to cool off, lows in the 50 range. here we'll get about two weeks of Fall, and then it will get warm again in late October of November, and then go full cold. We're just getting Fall weather now, the leaves are beginning to drop.

10. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Dang, nobody noticed the radius bends on the square tubes. Lol

Temps tend to bounce around here too, but the last couple of years, it just rained non stop, then froze until spring.

If I can find a decent cover for this thing, I can put it outside, when I need to heat the shop, to fabricate and paint.

Started masking for the liner work tonight. One side done, and put a fork in me. Mondays are a nightmare at work and I just want to shut my brain down for a rest.

Hello..... couch!!!