• Register Today It's free!

GMC Envoy... good or bad?

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
Need to get everyone's opinions on the gmc envoys. think i might end up trading the ex for one of these. i have to officially say that the sohc engine that ford made for this truck after helping take it apart and put it back together is THE most stupid design that i have ever seen for an engine. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Envoys are nice. They have a pretty smooth ride (compared to the X) and are well appointed. I like them.

Good, Bad, and Ulgy! I don't know I guess they are nice enough. I think they are a little pricy from what I have seen. Never really looked at them though.

Chevy TrailBlazer = good truck, anything higher than that is just an over priced trail blazer.

I think you can get the bowtie one with leather and power everything, so I don't know the reason for paying more for the GMC or the Buick (do they have one?) version. They're all the same truck, just different trim and sheet metal.

But that 270 hp inline 6 is a great motor.

But I still ain't selling my X for one ;)

My rents test drove a TrailBlazer when we were looking for a new car. The thing rode like it was on a cloud. Dad wouldn't punch it, but I have heard the for getting on freeway on-ramps that you have to shift it into 2nd b/c the tranny is slow. It was nice inside, I liked the that seat belts were mounted on the seats.

The cargo area is smaller than the '02s, Its also higher. You can see the spare hanging down in the back(if that matters to you, the '02s are almost invisible). Comes with a 2inch class III reciever standard, and a 275 HP motor standard. Ford you have to pay extra for the 240HP V8(then you have that nice rumble:D) I'm assuming the Envoy is practically the same thing, only you can get the air suspension in the rear, and its more "luxourious"

Nice and powerfull.

Not sure about reliability?

Originally posted by Blue Steel
i have to officially say that the sohc engine that ford made for this truck after helping take it apart and put it back together is THE most stupid design that i have ever seen for an engine.

Please explain why this is.

envoy seemed a lot smaller on the inside than the explorer does

Thats true... the 3rd Gen X's are really roomy inside. dad had an 02 V8 with the trailer towing option and it handled great.

But I still think the TrailBlazer is a good truck too. But my alligiance is always with Ford since I think most Chevy interiors are the definition of cheap and plastic-y.

Originally posted by HokieBert
But I still think the TrailBlazer is a good truck too. But my alligiance is always with Ford since I think most Chevy interiors are the definition of cheap and plastic-y.

It seems like Ford is starting to go plastic-y on the outside. I like the new XLT-Sport edition ones, They are the ones with the painted grey trim?

yeah, but tactfully done fender flares and fugly body cladding are 2 different things.

My X has nicely painted flares, the Avalanche looks like butt

Supposedly the reliability of the TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada has been awful. Look into that before you buy. And hey, if you want something that you need to keep feeding money, I have a 5.9 for ya to buy. :D

Mike

I know two ladies who have one. Both love 'em. And both have the same problem with the left daylight driving light. One has been at the dealership 5 times, the other about 8 times. Problem is not solved for both of them.

My personal opinion about the Envoy (and the new" '02+ Explorer. :eek: :p :D ): A minivan that wants to be a SUV. The I-6 is a nice engine though :D

Originally posted by donkey boy
My personal opinion about the Envoy (and the new" '02+ Explorer. :eek: :p :D ): A minivan that wants to be a SUV. The I-6 is a nice engine though :D [/B]

Yeah but the new Explorer engines are way underpowered!

For the next gen Explorer, I would like to see Ford throw an Engine in with atleast 250HP. 300 would be even better. Then I would consider buying another Explorer.

Don, have you driven a 02+ Explorer with the 4.6l v8? They are quite powerful in stock form. I couldn't imagine needing any more HP or torque than they put out.

Don't let the numbers fool you, I have driven both and the trailblazer sure doesn't "feel" like it puts out 275 HP.

EDIT: Jason: I'm not saying get the explorer either. I thought you liked to 4-wheel man? Your not gonna go anywhere in an envoy or a 02+ explorer. What about a Jeep Grand? Plenty of power, solid axles, reliability couldn't be any worse than an explorer or an envoy. Just a thought :chug:

do you really need 275 hp, im sure you can get by just fine with 235hp, also the envoys/trailblazers arent that attractive........imo

Crash

I know how they look after the drive 92 MPH flip twice ending up on it's roof. the drunk that was driving the 48 hour old truck BA was .21. never even switched the insurance over. The under side looked nice:eek:

I have driven both and the trailblazer sure doesn't "feel" like it puts out 275 HP.
I drove one also and i couldnt even get the tires to spin. It felt slow to have 275hp but they both look good on the outside.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Don, have you driven a 02+ Explorer with the 4.6l v8? They are quite powerful in stock form. I couldn't imagine needing any more HP or torque than they put out.

Don't let the numbers fool you, I have driven both and the trailblazer sure doesn't "feel" like it puts out 275 HP.

EDIT: Jason: I'm not saying get the explorer either. I thought you liked to 4-wheel man? Your not gonna go anywhere in an envoy or a 02+ explorer. What about a Jeep Grand? Plenty of power, solid axles, reliability couldn't be any worse than an explorer or an envoy. Just a thought :chug:

Actually I have. I have one in the family and test drove another. I also test drove a co-workers Trailblazer and I can say the same thing. I was actually more shocked about the Trailblazer. You would have thought they only put out about 175-200Hp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wife and I drove an Envoy XL and thought it rode like a dream, but just not enough room compared to the minivan we were going to trade. We ended up with a new Expedition instead, about the same money and much more room.

Back