Going 4 Wheel. Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going 4 Wheel. Help?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I'm planning my 4wd conversion for january and so far I think I'm going to start with the transmission and transfer case. I plan on ordering a rebuilt 4wd 5r55e and BW 4405. I was going to go with a manual 1354 at first but unlike most people I actually want control trac. Everything seems simple enough it's just the electronics that confuse me I know I'll need a torque on demand relay and transfer case shift relay. I read that if I'm going 4 wheel I'll also need to swap GEMs with an explorer that's has 4wd. Do I need a gem from another 4 door OHV with control trac or will a SOHC work as well? I already have the bezel and switch but I'm just wondering what other electronics I'll need and if all the wiring necessary is already in the truck, and are the sensors for the 4 auto in the transfer case itself? Thanks for any input. I plan on doing the front end: cv's, diff, auto hubs, knuckles soon after the tranny and t case.

One more thing, in this conversion thread the guy says you need an electric 1354. Isn't the 4405 the t case with 4x4 auto? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324222

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you need to do is follow that thread you linked to exactly. The only wiring you need to install is the harness from the C200 connector to the transfer case. You can probably easily find this at a junkyard.

As for the gem, engine does not matter (except no v8). You can also find a GEM at a junkyard, but make sure it says "SPORT UTILITY 4X4" or "SPORT UTILITY AUTOMATIC A4WD" on it. Essentially if it came out of a control trac explorer of the same model year it will work. However it will need to be taken to the dealer to be married to the PCM. There is no other way to do this unless you have an NGS.

As for the sensors for control-trac, the gem utilizes 2 sensors within the transfer case to detect slippage and engage 4x4, and subsequently to disengage it when front and rear driveshaft speeds are equalized.

For your final question, you do indeed need a 4405 transfer case.

Good Luck!

EDIT: correction- you need to do a little more wiring than just that one foot long harness... An additional maxi fuse needs to be added in the distribution box and an additional pin needs to be installed in the C146 connector in the engine bay. Details can be found in the link within the thread you posted.

I thought the additional wiring is only required on the V8 AWD models? Or was it just not mentioned in the V6 conversion?

Thanks for your reply, it's difficult to find info on this topic as most people say to just buy a new truck.

If you look in the parts for sale forum, i have everything you will need for this conversion for sale. Shipping will be rough for the bigger parts though. Good luck with the conversion, it will be well worth the effort.

Truthfully I can't say wether you need to install the additional maxi fuse and pin. I do know everything else is necessary though. Look in your fuse box to see if the control trac maxi fuse is there, although i doubt it will be. Even if its not, its not too difficult to add it in. Most of the wiring is there, all you need to do is attach it on each end.

Good luck with the project, and post back with updates and questions. I'd be happy to help where I can.

If you look in the parts for sale forum, i have everything you will need for this conversion for sale. Shipping will be rough for the bigger parts though. Good luck with the conversion, it will be well worth the effort.

Thanks for the offer but I'm afraid I won't have the funds for this project until January. Hopefully you still have the parts I need at that time :)

Truthfully I can't say wether you need to install the additional maxi fuse and pin. I do know everything else is necessary though. Look in your fuse box to see if the control trac maxi fuse is there, although i doubt it will be. Even if its not, its not too difficult to add it in. Most of the wiring is there, all you need to do is attach it on each end.

Good luck with the project, and post back with updates and questions. I'd be happy to help where I can.

Thanks, I'll be sure to post and keep everyone updated :thumbsup:

Edit: The maxi fuse slot is already in my truck and for some reason has a fuse in it.

I can pull and save the wiring but the rest is getting scrapped in the next couple weeks, need the funds for closing costs on my new house

There is a guy on the forum ditching his 4wd. You guys should just ship each other what you need. LOL I know you aren't looking for a stock 4wd setup, it was just funny that 2 threads apart one guy is adding 4wd the other ditching it.

There is a guy on the forum ditching his 4wd. You guys should just ship each other what you need. LOL I know you aren't looking for a stock 4wd setup, it was just funny that 2 threads apart one guy is adding 4wd the other ditching it.

Getting rid of his 4x4? :mad: Wow, is he one of the people who thinks it'll save him gas? Lol

Saving Gas

4x4 is known to decrease fuel efficiency. The added weight, along with increased rotational mass requires more work from the engine. Most who get exceptional gas mileage in their explorer have two wheel drive- the glaring example that comes to mind is the late Aldive. 32 miles per gallon!

Besides, if you're in a region where four wheel drive is unnecessary, why keep it? Just something to lug around and pose potential problems.

Believe me, I wouldnt be caught dead without a four wheel drive vehicle, but we have to respect others decisions and their reasons for those decisions. Removing four wheel drive from an explorer is a very legitimate and accepted operation.

Anyway.... Sorry for the little rant. Carry on;)

4x4 is known to decrease fuel efficiency. The added weight, along with increased rotational mass requires more work from the engine. Most who get exceptional gas mileage in their explorer have two wheel drive- the glaring example that comes to mind is the late Aldive. 32 miles per gallon!

Besides, if you're in a region where four wheel drive is unnecessary, why keep it? Just something to lug around and pose potential problems.

Believe me, I wouldnt be caught dead without a four wheel drive vehicle, but we have to respect others decisions and their reasons for those decisions. Removing four wheel drive from an explorer is a very legitimate and accepted operation.

Anyway.... Sorry for the little rant. Carry on;)

It does reduce a lot of weight but I don't approve of removing it as most people don't do it the right way. I had a friend who owned a mountaineer which the previous owner had removed the front driveshaft. Sure the full time AWD was now gone but he had neglected the front end by leaving all the additional unused mass in place. The truck was dangerous when taking turns in the rain and just didn't drive right. Anyway, if its done right then all I have to say is: it's their truck :D

Completely agree. Just removing the front driveshaft for long term use is a piss poor job. I remember hearing once about someone who just took out their cv axles... Needless to say front end grenaded without the axle nut to hold the hub on.

This kind of goes for all mods.... Do them well, and in good taste, or don't do them at all. I can't stand those ricers in their POS Hondas lowered 5 inches with straight pipe exhausts and five thousand stickers.

You forgot the A/C and power steering delete :D lol

had no idea converting to 4wd was as easy as this on the 95-01 models. does this apply only to the 4.0 or can be done with the 5.0 as well? man I've been away from this site for too long lol.

Getting rid of his 4x4? :mad: Wow, is he one of the people who thinks it'll save him gas? Lol

Ole boy is from long island.

had no idea converting to 4wd was as easy as this on the 95-01 models. does this apply only to the 4.0 or can be done with the 5.0 as well? man I've been away from this site for too long lol.

If you already have a 5.0, just do a BW 4406 swap. So much better for so many reasons and in so many ways. Check out ahodge's registry and vroomzoomboom's registry for details about the swap. Lots of info on here about that t-case.

Back