Solved - Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok after referring to Autozone Website they list.....

91-94 they show a Cam for the Manual Trans and a separate one for the Auto Trans
95 they only show one for Fed Emissions and one for Cali Emissions

:dunno:

I knew of the first gen having different because the auto's were equipped with more hp but then 95 and later the engines were suppose to have the same hp no matter if it were auto or manual.

I tend to think the 95 is such a cluster of both Gens, it is a crap shoot with everything on it.

It went for a test drive around the block today. Shifted fine, and felt solid.

Being in limp mode really affects the engine. It has a bog to it, and when the clutch is depressed and the engine rpms drop when shifting, it wants to die out. The rpms drop so low, that it will stall if taking time between gears. If the rpms are not high when shifting, it is fine.

Really hope the manual engine harness and other manual ECM take care of this.

Coming your way. 95 manual computer, engine harness, and trans harness. Ill get it in the mail on the way Monday when I get off work. Hope it fixes the problems.

IMAG0002Small.jpg

All the connectors were there except the maf meter connector. I cut one off anohter harness you can solder on or let me know if you cant solder and Ill solder it back in place for you. Hope that no big deal for you.

Thank you very much Sir.

The maf wires shouldn't be any problem to take care of as long as everything is there.

Very hopeful that this will take care of what ails this rig right now. (crosses fingers)

Are there any tricks or tips to installing the engine harness or is it pretty straight forward? I have been looking at mine somewhat, and really can't tell. Figure I just have to wait till I start removing it to find out. I don't want to remove it till the replacement arrives. Figured that might help a little.

All the MAF stuff is there just the wires were cut. Its just 3 or 4 wires in that one little loom you can see all the way to the right in the pic.

The harness was pretty easy to pull out. One thing you can do to make it a lot easier would be to remove the upper intake to get to the injector plugs and run the wires under it on the drivers side. I took it off the one at the yard so I could get to them. You may be able to do it without pulling the upper intake but it would be a lot more tricky getting to the plugs and running the wires.

Doesn't Sound hard, but until you do it once, it can be frustrating. Such is a lot of things I have learned over time. It is good for me, although it can be painful until it is accomplished.

I have rewired my maf sensor a couple of times already, and the 4 (abcd) wires are not a big deal for me. The connector being there, and enough of the pigtail, is what is I was referring to. Just a little too short(wires) on it, and it is screwed, it wont reach the Maf.

PA shifter extension showed up.

Notice the slots on the side. This is where the shifter pin slides into. It is a lot wider than the pin and allows for some slop on the shifter handle. My remedy for this was super glue and 2 carefully fitted pieces of hard plastic...aka....Zip ties...:) These took up the slack. Simply placed them on the side walls of the slot and slid the pin in between them.

3inchshifterextension.jpg

Installed on the shifter for picture purposes. Easiest way to install is from the inside of the rig. Fasten the extension on first, then the shifter handle.

extensioninstalled.jpg

Once that was installed it was time for the boot. Here is the Redline leather boot installed in the stock pockets of the full size console.

Bottom shows how it is cut away and clamped on using the remainder of the pocket ring.
redlinebootbottom.jpg

Top view

redlineboottop.jpg

Final installation.

bootinstalled.jpg

Wow, that looks like it came from the factory..

I think you should leave the auto shifter in there.. really confuse people. :)

~MarK

Wow, that looks like it came from the factory..

I think you should leave the auto shifter in there.. really confuse people. :)

~MarK

It is staying in until I find a manual steering console to replace it with.

It will def make some scratch their heads tho...:D

Can you grab a pic that shows both in the same shot?

~Mark

Gives the interior a sport truck look, looks nice.

For future reference--hindsight is always 20-20 you know--
but I was thinking--maybe the colum shifter can be left in place, and somehow used to shift the transfer case. Just throwing that out for the next guy who does this mod.

Have this pic, but kinda blurry.
<snip>

That is just way too clean of an install.. Really impressive..

But..

I was talking about a shot from the passenger side or back seat showing both the column shifter and the stick shift.. I just want to confuse some people..

~Mark

For future reference--hindsight is always 20-20 you know--
but I was thinking--maybe the colum shifter can be left in place, and somehow used to shift the transfer case. Just throwing that out for the next guy who does this mod.

That is just plain brilliant!

Linkage/bracket made to hold the shifter cable before the t-case linkage arm.

I would really like to see someone do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back