"Going to paint it Black"

interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
This weekend Im going to be painting my radio bezel, gauge trim, door handles, and maybe put an accent on the door depending on how smoothly things go.

I'm assuming painting the door handles will be the same procedure as the radio bezel right?

Pics will be up when Im proud of the results :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the doors You want to clean them with simple Green and scuff up the area with a scotch-brite pad and use adhesion promoter with plastic paint. Thin mutiple coats, probably around 4-6 or until you feel it's evenly covered. No need to wet sand the doors, the paint needs a scuffed up surface to help adhere to it. Multiple thin coats will layer and smooth out.

i have been thinhking about what color I am going to paint mine. Im ready for the silver to change. I was thinking of trying to camo mine. with black and two different greens and a brown.

go for it and post some pics! here's mine:

before
CIMG0464.jpg

after
CIMG0467.jpg

just make sure you peel that rubber stuff off the bezel before you paint. you dont need to wetsand before you paint if it is completely smooth and nick free, but if you want a smooth glassy finish you can wet sand you last coat before the clear goes on (if you go that route). use 2500 grit. good luck!

You guys can prolly tell i didnt get around to doing this... ended up at work all weekend. Got most of it sanded though, so as soon as i get some free time i can begin!

painting interior parts.

Midnight Rebel has the right idea but there is a plastic cleaning detergent that is sold at most autozones and Oreilly auto parts stores that will work much better. I believe its made by 3M but its been a while. simple green has chemicals in it that dont dry out evenly and might inhibit the drying process of the pain. If you can't find the detergent then clean it very well with windex and then treat with the plastic bonding agent Midnight Rebel was talking about. Plastic paint isnt a must if properly prepped. Its just more flexible than regular paints so if you are painting a lwan chair its helpful but as long as you primer any paint will work well on these items. I have been doing this type of work for many years and have learned these tips the hard way so hope they prevent problems for you. Good luck and hope to see the pix up soon.:D

Sweet, that'll make the prep work easier too.

So are you saying I should prime? Or did i read to much into that

This is next on my to-do list! I'm gunna do mine red to bring the exterior color inside! Can't wait to see pics man!

Just picked all my items for the next 3 "to-do's" on my list haha. Sealent, and some wiring fittings for my taillight bar, PBBlaster for my shackles, and 3 cans of Krylon fusion and sand paper for this hahaha. Busy weekend coming up

Yeah man i suggest a couple primer coats but its not a must. just helps it bond better. but make sure you do light and even coats like Midnight Rebel suggested or else it will not dry evenly and you could encounter runs and have to sand it all over again. :D

Back