Gonna make my own grille inserts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gonna make my own grille inserts

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Just so I know if there's any interest before I do it, would anyone like picture instructions on how I make my own grille inserts? I'm gonna do it sometime either this week or next week.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like instructions. Also if you could send soem pics as well.

ditto on the instructions

I'm going to do the grille inserts either tomorrow or friday so maybe with our instructions combined we can help make the world a better place....or at least with better looking explorer.

I've noticed alot of people with hard plastic crate looking inserts...I'm sure how much I like that. The gutter guard inserts look the best to me but I can't decide if I'll stay with the silver or paint them a color.

decisions decisions

Sounds like a plan Nick! I have a personal website that we can put up instructions on and everything... I'm going to be buying the materials today, not sure how far I'll get but we'll see..... let me know how you do and I'll keep you posted as well!

Seems like after reading my Haynes Manual that the 95+96's have taking off the grill a little easier.

Maybe I'm naive but it looks like taking off the grille, attaching the mesh of your choice and viola'.

Seems like after reading my Haynes Manual that the 95+96's have taking off the grill a little easier.

yea wait till you get to the clip on the drivers side that one will through you for a loop, that one clip is the whole reason why I gave up on this project :confused:

Taking the grille off is no prob...ive done it at least 50 timse when painting mine and adding my speedgrille...

the grill doesnt need to come off to do this.

Ok I'm trying to decide whether I want to put the mesh behind the grille like on Fish Man's truck, or make it like the speed grille in rydinhigh's truck..... what do you think?

And get this.....

Wire mesh from Lowe's: $3.50
Wire ties for mesh: $1.50
Posterboard for template: $0.52
Knowing I saved $200.00 by making my own grille inserts: Priceless

:chug:

I started piddling this afternoon trying to get the grill off. I had off all of the screws but couldn't get it to pull off then it hit me. Does the grill have to come off? no. But it will take a few minutes to cut to the right size and cut out a little notch for the middle bottom. Now lies the perilious question as to how to connect it. Who knows?

Gutter Guard: $1.25 x 3=$3.75
Getting mad when it won't lay flat on the grille: worthless

or make it like the speed grille in rydinhigh's truck.....

dude I didn't know I had a speed grill, last time I looked at my truck I didn't see one.....hang on........just ran and looked out side still not there :confused:

Whoops..... sorry wrong truck..... hahaha

Originally posted by Nick C.

Gutter Guard: $1.25 x 3=$3.75
Getting mad when it won't lay flat on the grille: worthless

bend them. that's what i did... i'm not sure i'm gonna do this right away, cause i think i'm painting my grille first

i'd just as well stick with my blingy billet grill :cool:

Nick, did you unscrew the screw that is located behind the front corner lamp assemblies?? If not, take those front corners off and you'll see a screw that is screwed into the front fenders. If you have the Haynes manual, it shows a very detailed description with pictures. Anyways...here's a pic I took without the grill.

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the info and pics. It was a big help, I've got half the grille done but then I had to get to work so I'll finish it up this afternoon. There's really nothign to it but it does hack your hands beyond belief. Was I making grille inserts for playing with a meat grinder?

It looks nice but the never ending quest to not be like everyone else continues.

Back