Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Good CB Locations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Bret, March 10, 1999.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Bret

Bret Guest

Any one have any Ideas for a good location for a CB besides right under the ash tray?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JAY

JAY Guest

I used to have mine nounted under the ashtray until I redid my sterio, I ran into talk back throught the speakers because of interferance between the CB and RCA cables. I moved my CB to the back side of the center console, the speaker is faceing forward (now up) so hearing it isn't a problem and it stays out of the way.

4. Scott Bosso

Scott Bosso Guest

On my 93s, I removed the ashtray and mounted the CB in its place. To fill the gap around the radio, I made a faceplate out of aluminum, and painted in black to match the radio surround.

It looks almost factory, and keeps the radio out of the way. Both radios have the microphone plug in the front - I don't think there is room for a side-mounted plug.

------------------
    Scott
    sjbosso@mindspring.com

5. Bret

Bret Guest

Scott what did you screw the CB mounting bracket into in the ashtray location? What type of CB do you have? Can you tell me more about your face plate possibly send me a template? Oh did you run the power directly from the battery to avoid interference as that seems to be a problem I am reading about. Thanks --Bret

6. Scott Bosso

Scott Bosso Guest

Bret,

On the Explorer, a Cobra 19 fits in the original ash tray frame. I just removed the ash tray, slid the radio in, drilled a hole on each side of the frame (where the mounting knobs screw into the radio), and used long screws to go through the frame into the radio.

On the Ranger, the radio was too wide to fit in the frame, so I made some brackets out of aluminum that bolted to the side of the radio (using existing holes) and to the dash where the ash tray frame mounts. These brackets also hold the faceplate. I spent many hours designing and building these, but they work great!

The faceplate is a piece of aluminum sized to fit in the dash opening, with a hole cut in it to allow the radio to pass through. I painted it black to match the dash.

As to the wiring, indirectly I go directly to the battery. I bring +12 volts through the firewall from the positive terminal of the starter solenoid (ie. the battery cable) to a terminal strip mounted under the dash. I have a Jacobs noise filter also, but I still hear the power window motor on the radio.

------------------
    Scott
    sjbosso@mindspring.com

7. GJarrett

GJarrett Guest

Scott,
    What's a Jacobs noise filter and where do I get one? I have sometimes horrendous interference noise and want to try everything possible to fix it before I go to the trouble of dropping the gas tank and installing that fuel pump interference filter per previous posts on limiting interference.
    Gerald

8. GJarrett

GJarrett Guest

Also, as to best CB location, I chose a somewhat pricey but great alternative.
    I bought one of those new Cobra 75 WX ST remote mount radios. The entire CB is in the mike! I didn't have to worry about where to mount the unit or anything. I just hang the CB/mike unit to the left of the steering wheel and that's it. It's a great way to go.
    Gerald

9. Scott Bosso

Scott Bosso Guest

Gerald,

A noise filter is an electronic device that cleans up the power going to your radio. It gets wired in between the power source and power input on the radio.

I got mine from Jacobs Electronics. The smallest one they make can handle 5 amps of power - more than enough for a CB. Power and ground are wired to the filter, then power and ground are taken from the filter to the radio.

This did quite down the radio a lot, but I still my power window motors.

------------------
    Scott
    sjbosso@mindspring.com

10. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Guest

Hey all,
    I just up graded to a 97 XLT and now I need to find a place for my Cobra 29NH ST. The Unit Dimensions: 7-1/4 x 2-1/4 x 8-5/8. I didn't have a center console before on my 95, so it was mounted under the ashtray, but now I don't have that space anymore on my 97. [​IMG] I need to get this thing installed before going to Hollister Hills on the 23rd of this month. Your help would much appreciated. [​IMG]

------------------
    Happy Wheelin'
    Ray L. :)
    97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC