• Register Today It's free!

Good deal or not?

88LSC

Reaction score
City, State
Halethorpe MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport,00 V8 AWD Mounty
hey guys just wanted your opinion on a new purchase I am about to make. I have a chance to buy a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer premier for $3500. The truck has the v8 awd, 120k on the dash and everything works inside. only think i can find wrong with it is the drivers side seat has a small tear from wear, the head unit has no display, and needs new center armrest cover like all of our trucks do over time. going to try to get him to come down on the price some but if he wont is this truck still as good of a deal as i think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not really a deal, IMHO. It's an average price if anything. Probably a $3k truck out the door, nothing really too special.

Are the door seams, inside hatch seam and/or rockers rusting behind the running boards below the rear doors? If so, it's now just dropped to a $2k-$2.5k truck...

no rust at all,and the truck is already MD state inspected. I was just thinking it was a good deal because most of the V8 AWD's I find all have between 190 and 220,000 miles on them

It kind of depends on the local market, and what it bears there. The east coast is a little different on values, but I still don't know if I'd call $3,500 a "deal" I guess.

It also depends on what wear items need to be replaced. If the front bearings are original, the other front end stuff is probably as well. If so, and you start replacing parts, you're going to be into the truck for $700+ really quick if you use good parts. Keep that in mind I guess, :thumbsup:

well i know the front lower ball joints were replaced for inspection, and I was able to talk him down to $3200, but thats as low as he will go

If the MD Explorer market is as dry as the NY market, $3200 isn't terrible. If I fixed a couple things in my Explorer I could probably get almost 4K for it, and it has 124K on it.

I just looked at 2 with like miles and all the options and clean in Chicago, one was 3 grand the other was 4, both were nice trucks and with a little dickering a decent deal IMO.
Everything is more expensive on the east coast, I think for $3200 even if you put $700 into it the first year doing brakes or battery or tire. I think its a decent value for the buck. Sounds pretty turn key at the moment.

Kinda crappy these trucks are getting old, rusty and clapped out, the late 5.0/AWD's were some of the best built IMO, the 3rd gen with the 4.6 would be ok except that it has a horrible rear IRS that eats parts like a dumpster. The late second gens have a better interior than the 3rd gens too.

I ended up getting an F150

I'd say it is. With 130k my 01 ST is still listing as about $5k. Using factory options, not including all the stuff I've done to it. Our mid-atlantic area is just high-priced in everything.

I just looked at 2 with like miles and all the options and clean in Chicago, one was 3 grand the other was 4, both were nice trucks and with a little dickering a decent deal IMO.
Everything is more expensive on the east coast, I think for $3200 even if you put $700 into it the first year doing brakes or battery or tire. I think its a decent value for the buck. Sounds pretty turn key at the moment.

Kinda crappy these trucks are getting old, rusty and clapped out, the late 5.0/AWD's were some of the best built IMO, the 3rd gen with the 4.6 would be ok except that it has a horrible rear IRS that eats parts like a dumpster. The late second gens have a better interior than the 3rd gens too.

I ended up getting an F150

The IRS isn't bad once you fix it correctly. Had my IRS repaired under warranty and all was well. The main complaint I have about the 3rd gens is that shtity 5 speed transmission, but even on my 2001 I had to have the transmission replaced within the first 5K miles. Also, all my 2nd gens interiors are FAR inferior to my old 2003''s. I'd trade my 2001 for another 2003 or newer 3rd gen that had the IRS repaired any day.

Just picked up my new toy .....forgot how much of a difference in ride quality from a mountaineer and my sport. lol

I wouldnt say its a deal either. I'm not a fan of the Mercury trucks. Its also hard to tell without pics. From my daily browsing on CL experience with these trucks, Id say it's about $500-$1,000 overpriced if anything.

see the problem is craigslist you never know what your going to look at, I saw 2 on there for $2800. a 2000 mounty with 150k and a 2000 eddiebower explorer with 124k. I drove to va to check them out and they both had several problems. the ex had check engine light on,rear passengers side door didnt open...i opened the hatch and almost got knocked out cause it didnt have the gas strut anymore...the mounting point had rusted off. the mounty was not much better, display on radio didnt work. the trip comp was all green lines, hood would nort open and after taking a bewtter look to see why hood didnt open found the drivers side fender was replaced.they said there was nonthing wrong with them before i drove an hour to look at those pos's

seems kinda high. a few months ago i bought a 98 xlt ex, 5.0 2wd with 163k on it for 1700. so far i have about 500$ in new parts in it. next up is the egr tube, and tires. i could probably sell it for what i got in it, but i like the truck. so shes a keeper

see the problem is craigslist you never know what your going to look at, I saw 2 on there for $2800. a 2000 mounty with 150k and a 2000 eddiebower explorer with 124k. I drove to va to check them out and they both had several problems. the ex had check engine light on,rear passengers side door didnt open...i opened the hatch and almost got knocked out cause it didnt have the gas strut anymore...the mounting point had rusted off. the mounty was not much better, display on radio didnt work. the trip comp was all green lines, hood would nort open and after taking a bewtter look to see why hood didnt open found the drivers side fender was replaced.they said there was nonthing wrong with them before i drove an hour to look at those pos's

It's just like any other site or dealer. You will have to sift through some junk to find a good one.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it, so 88LSC paid 3500 for it. I would say its worth 3500 to him, maybe it doesn't have bald tires, bad brakes, a kid picked console lid and exhaust leaks. Thus the higher resale value.

Post a pic of the rig 88LSC, I had a 91 LSC. One of my favorite cars since I was a wee yout.

Back