• Register Today It's free!

Good or bad decision?

Maxtor

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer xlt 4x4
We are in our 70's and want to do some serious exploring in the desert and mountains. So our choices were to fix up our 97 4x4 Explorer, so it would be reliable out in the wilderness, or buy a new rig.
So,,, we just ordered a 2014 Jeep Wrangler from the factory. I hope it will be as reliable as our Explorer was. Our Explorer has never let us down, except for a timing belt issue a couple of years ago, but at 150,000 miles, you never know, and thirty miles off road in the desert is not the time to test it's limits. Anyway, we will probably keep our Explorer and use it from time to time.
Most all our vehicles are Fords, and they have been quality vehicles. This is the first time we purchased a Chrysler product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But yet you bought a jeep..good luck with it.
No need to ask us..you already did the deal. Cheers!

Although I'll probably end up killing myself in some silly way before I reach my 70's, I hope it's not by getting stuck in the desert 30 miles from a road.

I'd say buying the new Jeep is a bad idea because you're going to lower the resale value driving it all over the desert right away, or at least wear away the new car look and smell before you had time to enjoy it for long, that it would be better to get a pre-owned newer (than the Explorer) vehicle to do that then clean it up a bit and resell it if you still want a new vehicle.

Although I'll probably end up killing myself in some silly way before I reach my 70's, I hope it's not by getting stuck in the desert 30 miles from a road.

I'd say buying the new Jeep is a bad idea because you're going to lower the resale value driving it all over the desert right away, or at least wear away the new car look and smell before you had time to enjoy it for long, that it would be better to get a pre-owned newer (than the Explorer) vehicle to do that then clean it up a bit and resell it if you still want a new vehicle.

When you die, you cant take your money with you! Should have bought a new raptor for the desert! But to the OP good luck with your mopar hope it holds up well..

quality control & new vehicle issues

I think a new vehicle will be more reliable than one 16 years old but possibly not initially. There are frequently problems with a brand new vehicle due to lack of proper quality control. I suggest driving your new Jeep for several weeks to build your confidence in its reliability before trusting it in the desert.

hey at 70 do whatever you like, its awesome that you have the interest to go off road, instead of poking around on the street. you guys will have a blast in the jeep, from what ive seen in commercials the grand Cherokee looks tough, however im not real sure about the short windows,
all the best

It's not just about reliability though, there's also the issue of getting stuck, though I hope the excursion is a group of vehicles not solo. Alone in the desert is not a good idea for many reasons including meeting up with thugs.

Thanks for all the reply's. At our age, resale is not an issue. Not sure how long we will be driving. Most of our friends our age are sitting at home. The young people are out rock crawling. We are going to buy a satellite phone for insurance. Friends our age are dropping like flies, so if we want to do this, we have to do it now. We have two friends that might take our Explorer on runs with us. It would be a hoot if the Explorer had to tow the new Jeep home.

honestly the only thing that i have learned from friends that have jeeps.... is that it aint cheap to have one... i dont think i would ever buy a jeep personal... i love every gen of the Ford Explorers except for the newer ones..... they are terrible. But if you were to use an older ford i would just say make sure she is ready for it. inspection and all that fun stuff... I drive an 02 XLT and honestly it is still kicking hard like it did when it was new. i have never gotten it stuck once. (over a foot of snow, mud pits, and what not) and i havent done anything to it... shes stock and has the tires she is suppose to have. now my friends jeep he has... i think he had 3.5 2010..... guess who got to pull him out most of the time?

You also might check out the Off Road sub-forum on this site.

Most of the Jeep guys like their Jeeps. There seems to be a high rate of factory related problems. Some recalls on 2012-2014 Jeeps. Since it is to late to change, I will just have to hope that I get a good one. Our Explorer is 4x4 with LS differential. I have always thought that it could take us any where we wanted to go. It is just getting old, and who knows when something might decide to break. I looked at the new Explorers, but did not like them. They were not pet friendly. We have a dog, and he goes where we go.
Maybe we should have purchased a new F150 with a locker rear and 4x4. At least we would know that the quality would be good. We have a 2012 Ford PSD with the new 6.7 engine, which is great, for pulling our 5th wheel, but not for off roading.

Back