• Register Today It's free!

Good performance parts for 4.6L?

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
does anyone know good performance for the 4.6L???

i have trouble finding them
here is what I have found:
custom intakes (k&n) www.4filters.com
aftermarket MAS (granetelli) www.truckperformance.com
cat-back exhaust (whatever i'll get one custom anyways)

i know some of the 4.6L mustang parts should fit... but i don't want to guess and check.

supercharger? throttle body? I think the mustang ones fit but i don't know....

list any good performance parts that you know will fit the explorer's 4.6L and where you can get it.
thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are a lot of parts for that truck. i have not finished the new catlog but you can get a computer reflash, headers, exhaust, ported heads, supercharger, intake pipe, bigger maf.

Has anyone completed a list of parts or places to get these parts?

Henson Performance carrys parts for you application. I even have parts not listed on my website.-j

Very nice site, I'll check it out, thanks!

hmm

i might be a bit late but i to was seeking for performance mods for the 4.6 and i currently have around 3 grand invested into my engine.

the two mods you should start with are going to be the K&N intake kit and preferably the magnaflow cat back(better flow than a flow master, but what ever) as these are going to be the start of any real performance out of your truck. there will be some noticeable improvement of power, but not a ton.

JBA headers were the biggest improvement i have done yet, but be warned, the install instructions make it seem easier than it realy is...WAY easier... i had a tech do it for around 350 bucks...worth it in my book...

I am also running granateli pro street ignition coils(60,000 volts) witch to my suprise actualy gave quite a bit of low end torque. a BBk 75mm throttle body(no mods nessasary, just plug and play...not a whole lot of improvment, but some), a grenatelli shark fin upper plenum (BE WARNED! you must drill a hole and attach a pipe for the break boosters vacume line, as well as bypass the water jacket(i can give you a pic of mine if youd like)), a professional products manifold(need to grind off some metal to allow fitment around the engine block temp sensors). And a custom tune from hensonperformance.com(witch combined with my headers gave me a night and day change in the way the vehicle drives! My next bolt on is going to be steeda underdrive pullys. with these mods my truck is currently faster to 60 than a brand new 4wd v8 explorer.

I have to warn you i did a GMS big mas and was rather disapointed, as it didnt realy do much.

While you can go ahead and supercharge, be prepaired for some custom work as it will more than likely be a mustang kit. Allen engine made a kit, but they are now out of buisness. I am working on convincing myself to spend 5.5 grand on a new saleen kit(roots style for ease of installment and such)...a new alternator and a new pipe to connect the air intake to the relocated throttle body will both be needed...maybe more mods as well.

dang

I've been subscribed to this thread, and had some high hopes for it.

See, I generally don't have the time to research everything I like in depth, and I hoped you guys woulda chimed in by now.

I wanted a parts list. I understand generically some things match up, but what I had hopes for was "hey, use mustang part number A4LZ-004-6392 ignition module in the 02-05 V6 expy.. it works better!"

I guarantee a buncha parts cross. I have a female friend that got one of the anniversary mustangs. Her engine looks exactly like my explorer V6. I like her air intake better, I think it would be the perfect start of a REAL cold air intake.

So, if the stock parts cross, there has to be a bunch of performance parts that will cross as well, right?

That's what I was hoping, anyway....

Back