1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Good Radio and Changer

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by theviper90210, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. theviper90210

theviper90210 Active Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 XLT
      I was thinking about getting a new headunit and 6 cd changer casue the changer craped out, so does anybody know a good headunit and 6 cd changer that has a easy harness to wire into the stock harness, btw ones that arent to expensive

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dave.jj

Dave.jj New Member

City, State:
      Essex, England
      1998 SOHC 4.0L 4X4 Auto
      Hi Viper,

Dont know if this helps but I have just made a change to my headunit. I am no expert on these matters so I went to my local Audio guy, and very helpful he was. As he told me if I got a new headunit it would not control my Ford changer so I would have to get a new changer as well (gulp).
      But he said to me had I thought about getting a cd/mp3 headunit.

Well not really knowing to much about it he explained..... As he said... how many people have a 6 cd changer and the cd's tend to stay in there for ages as you don't get around to changing them over. Well if you record your cd collection to MP3, you can burn between 10 to 12 albums onto one disc. So I now have one of those soft cd cases in the glove box I have average 11 albums recorded to one disc, and I have 15 discs in the small case, so I now have access to over 150 albums with me at anytime. when you have one disc in the player you can view all the albums contained on it, choosing album to album is as quick as track to track, it really is the way to go. As long as you have a PC to record your album collection its a breeze. I brought the Alpine CDA-9812RR, if you have that over there I have no idea, but you would have something like it.
      Hope this makes sense, and if you need anymore info just shout!!

Dave

4. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      I can't stand the dull sound of MP3's.

As for replacement units, for quality AND value, I'd suggest a Pioneer set-up. They are among the most reliable brands out there for car audio, as well as Alpine (more basic, more $$$, but rock solid),or Kenwood (similar features to the Pioneer, sometimes a little more $$) I am running the same Pioneer 6 disc changer I bought when I was 18. I am 25 now.....That is 7 years, 5 cars, 6 stereos (2 were stolen)

I have an OLD Sony deck in my Motorhome and it's decent, has changer control, but the changer broke, so in the garbage it went. Sony should have stayed out of the car audio business, and stayed 'in in the house'

I would buy the unit's off eBay if you can. ONLY from a shop that ALSO sells on eBay though. Not someones used equip. I have priced out my system here in town, then on eBay, and I am going to save ALMOST HALF....

Ryan

5. Dave.jj

Dave.jj New Member

City, State:
      Essex, England
      1998 SOHC 4.0L 4X4 Auto
      I have to say I have not really noticed a dull sound from MP3, and I am quite critical with my sound listening. I did play recorded discs and then play the original to see if there was a noticable difference and on the whole I dont think there was to much of a difference, if any. Some recordings play different to others but then some cd's play different to others. But then if I were to hear a real good set up I may hear the change. Mine sounds fine through standard speakers, I would say check it out.