Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Google will not answer me.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Venture Forth, June 5, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Venture Forth

Venture Forth New Member

City, State:
    Colorado
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 4dr 4wd 4.0 sohc
    '98 Explorer xlt sohc

I have searched and searched but can't seem to find an answer to a couple of questions that I have, any input is greatly appreciated.

My first question is about my serpentine, I installed a new belt and everything went well until a week later I started to hear a rather annoying sueak/squealing noise that starts as soon as I start my truck. (louder in the morning, gets quieter once the engine is warm, but doesn't go away) At the advice of a mechanic friend I took my belt off and spun each pulley individually to see if I could locate the problem. No such luck. When I put the belt on again, the squeaking was completely gone. Left it at that, but it started again after 500 miles. Removed and replaced the belt and again it is making no noise. Any ideas as to what gives?

Secondly, and this is a very random and rather rare occurrence, but on left turns the power cuts out for half a second and keeps going. Nothing bad, but noticeable and slightly intimidating considering left turns are usually gaps in traffic.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. obie

obie Active Member

City, State:
    Northwest Indiana
    2003 Sport Trac 4x4
    Just a few questions to clarify.

What brand of belt are you using?

Are you talking about engine power, or power steering?

4. 1992fordgreen

1992fordgreen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inside the Rehabilitation Center
    95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
    I heard that some PS lines lose pressure or get pinched when turning. IDK though...there is a thread somewhere out there...

5. kert0307

kert0307 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Pella, Iowa
    '00 Sport and '89 B2
    Sorry to hear that your Google Machine has been failing you. Have you tried replacing the belt tensioner? If it is worn even a new belt will slip easy and squeek. It may also slip enough to not turn your power steering pump under load.

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  7. Venture Forth

Venture Forth New Member

City, State:
    Colorado
    1998 4dr 4wd 4.0 sohc
    Not sure what brand of belt it is, the generic cheap autozone one. The power cut out is engine power not ps. Also I paid a mechanic to replace my tensioner, (should have done it myself ik) so as long as he didn't rip me off, I have a new tensioner. When I look at it though, it looks as though he may have just brushed up the old one. I may call him on this.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Edit: just checked the harmonic balancer sticky and my tensioner is jumping which would indicate a bad balancer, going to check into this some more.

Last edited: June 6, 2013
  8. Flash

Flash Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brisbane Australia
    1997 Limited
    It sounds like either the tensioner isn't up to the job or the belt has too stretched or become too shiny to use anymore.