Got a few 93's, got a few questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a few 93's, got a few questions

Aussie Canuck

Reaction score
City, State
B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
I Already have a 93 XLT automatic that is now a parts truck. I recently purchased two more 93 Explorers, both are standards, one is a 4 dr. XL and the other, a 2 dr. sport.

92 XL needs a clutch, which I have, but after reading my Hanes, it says to re & re the transfer case and install a new gasket. I have looked around and cannot get my hands on a new transfer case gasket..... Can I make one somehow???

94 2 dr Sport has no power distribution box (P.D.B) in it... I have a 93 4 dr XLT as a parts truck.... can I strip the P.D.B from it?? Both are power windows and push button 4x4, but I have power windows in the rear of the 4 dr so..... can I make this work??

Bonus question... The wires leading into the power distribution box were cut... would anyone be able to provide info as to what wires hook up to where in the P.D.B. for the 94 Sport???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The T-case gasket is a dealer only item. When I did my clutch, I reused the old one as it was in decent condition, i.e. it didn't rip apart when I separated the case from the trans.

Excellent. I have heard before that I could use RTV but wasnt sure. I will reuse my old gasket if I am able to, but if not, I shall try this manilla envelope trick with some RTV.

Anyone know if I can swap the Power distribution box box a.k.a. relay center from a 93 XLT 4 dr. to the 94 Sport 2 dr?

You can get paper gasket material from a parts store. It comes in a roll for something like $10. Make a template on your trans case. the first cut you should make is the center hole, then the hole for the dowel. Make sure it is a close and tight fit. After i did that I used a awl to make a small hole in the template for each bolt hole.

Transfer to the gasket material. Don't cut it with scissors. Don't try to cut all the way through on the first cut. It took me about 30 minutes to make mine and it works perfectly. This is the pic where I made mine, you can see my template in the background was an empty rubber glove box.
http://explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2981552&postcount=11

Ok so here's an update for all y'all. I have yet to make the transfer case gasket for my 92 XL explorer however, I have been assured that Straight RTV sealant will work.

For all you missing, or working on the power distribution box (relay center) .... I have successfully transfered the one from my 93 XLT into the 94 sport. I thought about soddering them but have heard to many horror stories about ****ty sodder jobs and sodder points being the target of corrosion so I opted to use PVC Butt Connectors. If you chose this option you will need three sizes (Red, Blue, and Yellow) as there are multiple gauges of wire. The wires are color coded and you can find a guide in the back of a standard Haynes manual for most of the wires.

TWO THINGS TO BE CAREFUL OF!!

#1 - There are 3 small black wires. 2 go into the power distribution box at the same place, and the other one comes from your starter motor, wraps in with the regular wires, then snakes off at a "T" and goes to a clip. Cut the electrical tape and peel the tubing back to see what you are working with so you dont mis-connect the wrong wires.

#2 - In your wire bundle going into the power distribution box there are 2 wires (orange with a yellow stripe) that are identical but go to different places in the P.D.B. So... when you peel the electrical tape back take note of where they are. One will be next to a larger orange wire with a yellow stripe. The smaller of the two gets connected to the relay closest to the fire wall. The other small orange wire with a yellow stripe will be next to a wire that is completely orange. This wire gets connected to the relay in the middle of the P.D.B on the right hand side.

Hope this has helped a few of ya as I could not find any information the the Power Distribution Box a.k.a Relay Center on the site here.

Cheers.

Back