Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Got a New Rifle... Remington 710

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by ChuckyD, September 28, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 4Runner SR5
      .270 Bolt Action

My first Gun, Bought it for hunting.... I cant wait to use it!!!
      Ok, thats all i have to say... :D

Attached Files:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      What are you gonna hunt? Deer?

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Thats a fine gun, Chucky. way to go.....

5. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      I am jealous you can hunt deer with a riffle. We can't. I may make it back to Vermont this year for deer with a rifle. Here it is Bow, Muzzle Loader, or shotgun

6. VairKing

VairKing Elite Explorer<br>Midwest-Xplorer Member

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      Excelent, I think im going to treat myself to a new rifle this hunting season...the ole 30-30 just doesnt have the umph I want...Our gun-deer season opens November 15th...what about everybody else?

7. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      I heard in wisconsin they are paying ppl to hunt deer because they are carrying some disease that causes them to just like basically lose all their bone and meat and just die...kinda sick.

8. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      Where im from I hunt mainly deer, if I see anything else that's shootable legally, ill take it if I can... Bear float around up here too.. but I swear I shit my pants if I see one.. lol

November 2nd im going down ton South Carolina for one of those organized hunts, where they shelter you, feed you, and guide you... that is going to be awesome!!!
      there I be hunting Wild Boar and Deer (I think some other stuff too, but im not sure exactly)

I brought the gun to the range and tried to sight it in, but I ran out of time. At 100 yards I was 2 off center to the left, im trying to get it dead on at 100 for Carolina...

Season for rifles start the monday before thanks giving...

9. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      well alright. ive got a Ruger M77 in 270 cal. and you'll find it is MORE than adequate for whitetail... be careful around those wild boars, i have been cut several times and bit once. remember this, if one charges you jump strait up or to the side. a wild hog running WOT cant turn sharp, so if you get out of his way he will more than likely keep running right past you. are the guides using dogs or is it a "still" hunt? anyway, good luck, have fun, and most importantly KEEP IT SAFE.

10. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      IM not 100 % sure on all the details for the hunt in carolina... im finding out more within the next few weeks... ill let you knw for sure, but i think they post us somewhere and then just pick us up later.

11. Rx4phun

Rx4phun Active Member

City, State:
      USA
      1998 XLT SOHC
      taxxman2k if you are in northern VT, especially with the X look me up, and yes deer hunting is good and so are guns

12. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      I forget where we go. My Dad's old college budy is up there and they have a cabin we go to. I'll have to find out where and if I am going this year.

13. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      If SC pig hunting is like it is here in FL, you will probably not get a 100 yd shot. Further, most pig hunting here is not done with any gun, You ride in a jeep with your dogs and a light, when you spot the pigs eyes, turn the dawgs loose, they catch the pig by his :boy parts" and hang on till you get there and tie his legs up. Seriously, It blew me away the first time I saw that. The reason is so you can pen up the pig and feed him to get rid of the wild taste.

Enjoy your trip to SC, There is some beautiful country there.

14. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      ah yes.. watching a good catchdog is amazing. when they hit a wild board 3 times their size and knock him to the ground..

i use a Remington model 700 30-06 for my main hunting rifle. you can't get more accurate than a good ole bolt action! get a NICE scope for it.. i suggest anything made by Leupold. i can't tell what that is in the picture. 100 yds is a great distance to have it sighted in. that's where mine is. but for hogs.. you will be lucky to have that range. count on a few yards for them! i actually use open sights for hogs.

good luck with the hunt!

15. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      thanks, i will enjoy the hunt.. i cant wait!
      Im actually going back to the range either tomorrow or wednesday. Im determined to get this dead on!

16. JoshC

JoshC Only rolled it once honey

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      Hey Chuck, nice buy. Do you have somewhere to take a 200 yard shot? If so i would try a few. You'll probably be just a couple of inches if any at all low. A 270 is about the best all around gun. I have a remington 270 pump that was my first gun and now i have a savage 300 win mag. Our gun starts the same as yours, the monday of thanksgiving week. I'll be using my vacation that week. We have a camper that we pull out to a family farm and set it up every year. We are huge bow hunters also. Our season starts on the 12th. Can't wait. We are finally getting some bears to migrate to this part of the state. We know of one on the farm. We found it's den on saturday and put some feed out.

Sorry, didn't mean to take away from your thread Chuck!

Happy trails!!

17. Rx4phun

Rx4phun Active Member

City, State:
      USA
      1998 XLT SOHC
      taxxman2k and ChuckyD, they said that it is suppose to be a good season up here in VT. I would assume it wouldnt be to bad over the other side of the lake but I dont know where you would be hunting Chuck
      Gary

18. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      ill be hunting right near the border of PA and NY. Called deposit county. zone 4o on the DEC of NY map...
      yeah... there is a bear roaming around my friends property too... but the only problem is, all the feed we have been putting out, the freakin bear has been eating it... there we are getting all excited b\c its all getting eatin. We go up to check it... and there a huge load of shit sitting right there in the feeding area.... That thing is going down... after i Shit my pants when i see it :p

19. Magicfan25

Magicfan25 Active Member

City, State:
      Central FL and WPB Florida
      98 Sport SOHC
      Thats called Chronic Wasting disease. We got some info sent to us from Colorado about in certain areas its mandatory you have the head dropped off (or part taken off it) to be tested for it.

I usually hunt with a .338 winchester semi auto. We have them about 1.5" high at 100yrds for them long shots in Colorado. Any kinda decent hit with this gun, and its not going far.

Going on a guided hunt the begining of November for deer and elk, I cant wait

Nice lookin gun man.

20. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
      '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
      As far as sighting in goes for short or long range, it's been over ten years since I sold my 30-06, but I think I can remember this correctly. Don't know 270 ballistics, but you can sight in a scoped 30-06 to hit 2" high at 100 yards and hit anything within 200 yds. The bullet will be climbing up to the 2" over mark in the first hundred yards and go back down to hit dead center at 200 yds (sighting in at 200 yds will hit 2" high at 100 yds).

So even if you never get that 200 yd shot, you can dial in your scope for it and always be within 2" elevation from the moment the bullet leaves the barrel all the way out there to about 250 yds. Makes it easy to not have to worry about what elevation to allow for the shot: just take it dead on and you'll be within 2" no matter how close or how far out you are reaching. I'm not a good enough rifle shot to be reasonably sure I can take a 250 yd shot, especially in typical field conditions without a benchrest. So this worked great for me within my own personal limitations.

21. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      All of the deer hunting in GAm SC and FL that I have done, I have never seen anywhere you can get a 200 yard shot. Most are less than 50 yards.

You are gonna love that gun, Chuck..

22. james t

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      same here. were we hunt there is one stand that you could possibly get up to 520yd. shot (as measured with a rangefinder), but EVERYTHING else is 50 yds or under. i usually hunt opening morning with a rifle, and then hunt the rest of the season with a handgun. ive got a Ruger SuperBlackHawk 44 mag with a little tasco pro-point on it, and it is effective on any of our stands (except the aformentioned "pipeline" stand).

23. JoshC

JoshC Only rolled it once honey

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      Wow, never get a 200 yard shot. Man, here in WV were we have nothing but hills we have all kind of 300+ shots. Not saying that i'd take that shot, but we have many many places to get that kind of shot. But on average, it's about 50 in the deep woods!

Happy trails!!

24. james t

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      hey Chucky- since we have already molested your thread (and stole the thunder away from your new 270) maybe we could use this as a "generic hunting" thread. J/K:D

25. bonnich

bonnich Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto ontario
      03 1500 HEMI SLT
      Up hear to get my non restricted gun license (any long gun with a total length of 660cm or over) takes about 3 months waiting time after you successfully do the gun course. To get a restricted one (handguns and any thing except for prohibited guns) first I need to do the course then wait 6 months while the RCMP questions the nbrs and checks where I will be keeping it, and does a background check. After that?s all dome then I can buy a hand gun and lock it away in the gun safe with no ammo in that safe. Then I need another license to take the handgun from my home to the range and back home. It seems like they have gone to far with the gun laws up here.

26. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      man there are tons of 300+ yard shots where i hunt in georgia. my longest so far is a 334 yd shot (we measured it later with one of those wheel things). the 10pt dropped like a brick when that lead hit him in the neck (where i was aiming). tons of clear cuts and fields around here. i have a VERY good scope for this reason and when using a sandbag i can put 5 shots through the same bullet hole in the target. its all about taking time and breathing right and not getting nervous. i've also missed a smaller buck at about 50 yds because i just picked up and shot. learn the way your gun shoots and you'll be able to hit anything!

granted that my avg shots are around the 75 yd range, i often see deer at 150+ that i would shoot at if they were bigger.

james.. i've hunted with my super blackhawk as well. talk about causing damage to the meat! jeez! its open sight and i've only shot 2 with it, but it was a LOT of fun.

i love talking about guns.. everyone is usually so scared of them that its not fun. glad you guys are around!