• Register Today It's free!

Got a question about gears?

fury

Reaction score
City, State
austin,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer sport
I am planning in the near future to downsize on my tire size to either a fat 36 or maybe even a fat 35 inch tire.

My question is i have 5:13 gears in it right now would i really have to regear for the tire size downgrade?

What would happen if i didn't?

Also how would it matter much (gear wise) if i went from a 15x10 to a 15x12 inch rim?

Should I factor this in when i make my decision?

thanks

Here is my opinion and strickly that :D I have 4.88 and 35's right now and think it is too low for the road. My X is mostly a trail rig but I do like to drive it to the trail so on one hand I wish I had 4.56's instead. I also have an 4.3:1 atlas II t-case so going to 4.56's wouldn't hurt me off road. I guess what I am saying is 5.13's with 35-36's is too low of a gear for me but it would probably work for you if you don't want to drive it very fast down the road, don't have an auto trany, and have a stock t-case. I have heard of people on this board who are running 5.13's with 35's though so maybe they will add their 2 cents here. Also you might just want to get the 36's and see what it drive like until you decide. Oh and wheel size will not affect your gearing but I would suggest going to a 15x8 wheel. Talk to you later.

You are going to have some gas guzzling problems ha. I run a 4.56 in mine with 33s and it's real good for 33s -- 4.10 is what all the "online calculator" told me to get, but I wanted 4.56! So basically what I'm saying, too much gear can be a bad thing - but it's up to you.... you have a lot of gear for 36s, but if i was you - I'd stick with 'em.

-Drew

Back