Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Got a ticket - license plate covers.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by rvitek, September 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rvitek

rvitek Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wauconda, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 XLT 5.0
      You know those smoke colored license plate covers? Well, take them off! I got pulled over for doing a 42 in a 30 (nice, my speedo showed 46!), but my record is clean and the cop was AWESOME! He gave me a verbal for my speed and wrote me a ticket for "Improperly Displaying Registration" by having those smoke colored covers. It's $75 but whatever, I didn't loose my license and it won't go on my record.

Just a warning :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jayvt

jayvt New Member

City, State:
      Burlington, Vt.
      '02 XLT 4WD
      yeah, I noticed the disclaimer on those once when I thought about purchasing one.....This use of this product may be illegal, blah, blah, blah.... I didn't get it exactly because of your story. Why give them more of a hook or another reason to stop me? Glad to hear you got by somewhat unscathed.

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      a lot of the aftermarket products have a disclaimer that says use at your own rick...this product is intended for off highway or show use only..... the only legal cover of anything is window tint (to a point) and clear license plate covers.....

5. ld50

ld50 Oh, the money you`ll blow

City, State:
      British Columbia
      93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
      We even get hassled here for clear covers since they can foil the red light cameras we have at some intersections. We used to have radar vans too, but they were scrapped a couple years ago.

Big brother is watching..

6. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Did you ever hear of people spraying hairspray on their plates to refect the photo radar vans camera? LOL

I never had to worry about photo radar vans, since I didn't speed stupidly, but I am glad they got rid of that junk, as they were a cash cow.

7. ld50

ld50 Oh, the money you`ll blow

City, State:
      British Columbia
      93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
      I have heard of the hairspray thing, but apparently you have to do it quite often. Seems easier to obey the law.

I got one photo radar ticket though. It was a burn, right at the bottom of a hill and only 13kms over the limit. LOL, I never paid it, and hiding from the bill collector they turned it over too was a royal PITA! "Someone`s at the door, hide!"
      See, they can`t issue a warrant for an unpaid photo ticket since they can`t prove that you actually recieved the ticket. I kind of support the red light cameras, but it is a little big brother-ish, which is creepy, and one more piece of our freedom is taken away to boot.

In the future maybe all cars will have a gps system which is constantly monitored by computers and every ticket will be automatically drawn from your bank account-yikes! Repeat offenders will have their car disabled.

8. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Yeah, when the Photo Radar system first came out, they pledged to " not put the vans at the bottom of hills, or hide them"

Near the end, all they were doing was placing them at the bottom of Knight St. hill, and hiding the vans behind freeway overpasses:eek: :mad: