• Register Today It's free!

Got my amp and sub

gard_mc

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I've posted a few times recently and really appreciate all the help and advice I've gotten, thanks.

I've ordered an Audiobahn 12" sub and Profile Clarus CL600M amp.

My only question for install is this:

Can I run a control to turn the amp on and off, just a simple switch under the dash in the turn on line is what I was thinking. What about a control to change the power going to the amp, sort of a homemade version of what alot of amps seem to be coming with now. If this did work, would it have to go on the main power line? Doesn't seem like the turn on wire does anything but off or on.

Maybe a crazy idea but I would like a way to turn off the big bass (even if I can't just turn it down) when my 1 year old is in the back.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and would especially love to hear if anybody else has ever done something similar.

Oh yea, one other thing. I'm mounting the amp where my Thunderform used to be, I think it should get enough air there to not overheat very easily -- thoughts on this? How about if I take the grill out and plexiglass it?

Thanks and sorry for the long post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well... my headunit has an amp turn on/off and also a setting to turn of the sub when iwant to or increase thebass from the hu.... what hu are you running? does it have that capability?

I'm running the factory HU with CD Changer in the console. Not premium or JBL or anything.

Oh yea

Love the truck. Any more plans for chopping the top?

the roof is off already... just waiting for me to get off my lazy but to work on it

the factory stereo has an amp turn on for the reg speakers, i think..... you maybe able to tap into that line

Originally posted by gard_mc
I'm running the factory HU with CD Changer in the console. Not premium or JBL or anything.

I was thinking of adding a sub/amp to my factory HU. How does it sound?

well what i did was instead of using the remote wire from the hu, i took a splice off the main power wire, ran it thru a switch and over to the remote wire hook up, then i put the switch up front and ran this wire to it, works like a charm! no probs with it at all!

I would think that year with cd player should at least have the amp in the rear. Looking at my 97 diagram it looks like the purple wire would be the trigger wire. I was told 95-97 were the same. But i would verify with a test light or meter 1st. If it goes dead with radio off and hot with radio on thats the one you want.

Good luck:D

Im sorry i was looking at wrong print. The wire should be dark blue comming out of the radio...oops!:confused:

If you plexiglass over the amp in the cargo pocket I think that it might not get enough airflow to disipate the heat unless you use a fan.
What your were thinking of doing is like a bass knob and don't think it can be done if the amp doesn't already have one
as far as a switch for the amp you can run one off the remote wire that goes to the amp, but make sure the remote wire you have going to the amp goes on when you turn your key on and not a constant 12v source because if you forget to cut your switch off the amp will stay on and kill your battery

Thanks Kevex,

Thats pretty much what I was thinking too. Amp kit is already ran (this is the third system I've put in the X) so its all wired up right! I think I will put the switch on the remote turn on, I could probably splice that line and run a fan in also. Any thoughts on that? Is there a special fan I would have to get, or just any automotive fan? What about noise in the electrical system from a fan getting into the amp, is that possible?

I've got my remote turn on wire run to a toggle switch that is mounted below my dash on my remote bass control knob, so that I can turn the whole system on or off quickly. I love it! Here's a pic:

Dead Link Removed

The top is the remote bass control knob, the bottom left switch is the turn on for the amps, and the bottom right switch is the turn on for the two 15" sound activated neons in the trunk. It works out pretty well... At night the remote bass knob lights up blue, and the two switches I used also light up blue when they are on.

B94Sport-- Is your remote bass control knob something you made yourself or did it come with the amp? My amp doesn't have one and I was trying to figure out a way to 'rig' it so it did!

Thanks

It came with the amp... I think that making one yourself would be difficult... You would have to base it off of the control knob on your amp that is for bass boost, but unless you wanted to rig up something mechanical that would adjust it (read: lots of time, probably lots of money) you would have to take apart the amp, remove that knob and it's resistor (All the knobs are are variable resistors) and then relocate the knob (or another knob with a variable resistor of the same value attached to it) to another location. From the leads of the variable resistor, you would then run wires back to the connections on the amp's circuit board to where the original resistor was connected. I hope that made sense... I just thought of it quickly. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I would imagine that it would work. Assuming that your amp has a bass boost knob instead of just a switch or something. You could do the same sort of thing with the amp if it had a switch, but then you would not get the variable bass boost. Actually, I take that back... If it did have a switch, that is still just a voltage range from 0 to whatever... So you could remove the switch, follow the same procedure I came up with earlier in this post, and then replace the switch with a variable resistor. That MAY work and give you variable bass boost, but I am not assuring you of anything. I'm a Computer Science major who has played around with circuits and taken some Electrical Engineering courses, but by no means can I ensure that any of my ideas will work :) I know there is an EE who frequents this board... He might be able to help. I am almost positive that you could do it if your amp has a bass boost knob on it right now. If it just has a switch, then I am not sure.

I think that you can pick up a small fan at a Radioshack, or probably any 12v fan would work, just some move more air than others, If you run it with the remote wire you could possibly have noise but try it and if you get noise run it off a another circuit with relay and another switch
And if you are only using the amp for the subs and the other speakers are run off the radio, when you put the switch in, it will be with that amp and when you turn it off, you will just be turning off your subs and have you other speakers still on, This is the same way I have it because of the kids and my wife can't take the bass :)

remote bass control

gard_mc, PAC makes what you want. Here is a Dead Link Removed . Looks like the LC-1 goes in between two RCAs but since you are using the stock head unit the LC-2 may be just what you need. Never bought anything from this web site, maybe can find at other places too. My experience with a bass control knob is that besides turning the bass "off" you can change the bass level depending on your particular music. Adjusting the bass on the head unit is many times too broad a range to sound good, you just want to adjust sub volume (>100hz for example).

Back