1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Got Ticket, need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by jonny 5, September 21, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jonny 5

jonny 5 Active Member

City, State:
      Seekonk, MA 02771 (home), N. Dartmouth, MA (college)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 XLT SOHC
      Got a ticket for doing 40 in a 30. I was actually doing 43 but he knocked it down to 40 so I wouldn't have to pay $205!!! I still have to pay the minumum of $75. Should I fight it or just pay? It goes on record right? If I win in court does it still go on record? I'm 18, one accident (not at fault), don't drink, don't smoke and I I need the money.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

It may depend on your locality. In some places, your first speeding ticket may only give you driving school. The only way to know is to ask around. If driving school is popular in your local, I would go to court to see if you can get it.

Why would you win (be found not quilty) in your case? Is there any basis to fight it?

Robb

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Pay the fine ( you did do the crime ) and then do drivers school and get points purged from record.

Good luck....

5. Adam Foote

Adam Foote Active Member

City, State:
      Katy, Texas
      92 XLT
      some places dont give points..... he may not have any...

6. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      Yeah, I wouldn't fight it unless you had a good case of why you shouldn't get the ticket. It would just waste more money any time if you went to court.

7. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      If you can just pay the minimum and take defensive driving. I've found the DD tapes and internet questions from Blockbuster are ok to use.

And just don't get a ticket within a year :)

8. jonny 5

jonny 5 Active Member

City, State:
      '98 XLT SOHC
      The thing is, if I fight it, does anything go against me for fighting it? The court time is 5:30 and it's only 25 minutes from campus so it's not a hassle at all. I never speed really over the limit, usually just a couple- 7/8 over depending on the conditions. I was going about the same speed as everyone else, he just singled me out.

9. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Is that the basis of your argument? When the judge asks you how you plea and you say "Not Guilty", then the judge asks "What is the basis of your defense?" Is that what you are going to say?

I am not being rude or anything here, I am just wondering what you are thinking of fighting against.

Nothing goes against you if you do argue and are found guilty, except any "favors" the judge would have offered, like driving school, would prolly be thrown out the window.

Robb

10. Mikes95XLT

Mikes95XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
      '95 XLT
      So is that the speed people usually do down that street? Cause you said you were going the same speed as everyone else, so you were technically flowing with traffic..... so you could use that.

11. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      A friend of mine is a State Trooper and he said that you should always plead NOT GUILTY and sign NO for a supporting deposition. Do NOT get a lawyer, that only makes it worse. 9 times out of 10 he reduces it. Just go dressed nice and show a lot of respect to everyone there. You will be able to talk to him before you go before the judge. Let him talk first. If he seems cool and doesnt offer to reduce it, ask him nicely if there is anything you can work out to get this reduced. Don't stand there and say, Well, I was going the same speed as everyone else so I dont know why you picked me... or... I wasnt going 40 or whatever. After you ask him you will be able to tell what the answer is before he even says anything, but he will most likely say something like, I'm willing to reduce this to an 11-10A (some sort of minimal violation that doesnt give you points, not sure exactly what it is but it is commonly used when reducing speeding tickets) if you are willing to drive a little more carful.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

12. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      When I took a driver training course, the instructor, who is a retired cop said that the "correct" speed is the flow of traffic, because if you aren't flowing with traffic you could be a road hazard. If everyone is going 15 over the speed limit, and you are going the speed limit, it can cause problems if someone doesn't see how slow you are going, especially at night.

13. diablo5969

diablo5969 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
      2004 Honda Pilot LX
      Go to court. Do exactly what 98FordX24 said.

If you ever get a ticket, no matter what the offense, it's always worth it to take it to court.

Also, there are a couple books out there that will help you out and tell you what to do. Just look in the automotive section at Barnes & Noble or whatever, you might find one. I see them there sometimes. I got one for myself when I had to go to court, and I was going to tell you what it was so you could order it, but I can't seem to find it right now.

But yeah, moral of this post: Go to court

14. jonny 5

jonny 5 Active Member

City, State:
      '98 XLT SOHC
      Thanks everyone!