1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Gotta love 10 Yrs worth of rust

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by wmdpalmer, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Exploder XLT
      Dropped my fuel tank tonight to replace the fuel pump. Gotta love rust from the salt up north. Everything came off (whether it wanted to or not)but the ring that hold the pump int the tank looks to be shot. I mean this as it is a rusty hulk keeping the pump in the tank. Hard to tell how to take the ring off and if they krimped tabs over the ring to keep it from spinning. Anyone know about this? thanks,

Will :usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      If it is just the retaining ring that you are worried about, pry it off with a screwdriver and put on a new one. But if the tabs on the tank are damaged, you may want to consider sending the tank to a rad shop...

4. A Wise Guy

A Wise Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      McHenry, IL.
      '06 Limited Dark Cherry
      Before you pry it off you may want to make sure that the ring doesn't turn counter clockwise to remove it. Basically those tabs you see you tap on those to spin the locking ring.

5. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      98 Exploder XLT
      Got everything off and replaced and now she is up and running. I ended up prying off the ring and was able to buy a new one. Runs like a champ now.

Will

6. fireftr

fireftr Active Member

City, State:
      strongsville,ohio
      '05 Limited 4.6
      first gen gas tanks

My '92 EB just started to leak gas :fire: down the left side of the tank while running. I'm going to drop the tank in a few days to make the repair and wondered what you found. I'm guessing mine will have some rust on the top of it too, but wondering where I'll find the leak. Mine has 190k on it, so something probably got eaten by northern salt. Thanks

7. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Most likely your leak is due to a rusted out line coming from the fuel pump sending unit... The vehicles's fuel lines are stainless steel and attach to Zinc plated steel lines on the fuel pump sending unit. I would get a fuel pump and sending unit together as opposed to getting just the sending unit and re-using your 13 yr old pump.

8. fireftr

fireftr Active Member

City, State:
      strongsville,ohio
      '05 Limited 4.6
      rust, gas tank, yuck

I hate rust too. Just trying to get my EX to and-or- past 200k. Turned a few odometers past 100, but this is a real challenge. Actually this is the first real problem with my truck (orig motor and trans).
      Thanks for the info. I'll look for that when I drop the tank. Told my wife I better do it on a day that the dealer's open All day, as I'll probably need to visit their parts dept for something or another. Thanks again