1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. hannibalhector

hannibalhector Member

City, State:
    Bronx, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 XLT
    I have this issue where if I'm parked in an indoor lot, and I turn on my Ex, when I finally pull out of the lot, the GPS is crossed out. If I have a destination punched in, the entire route will be way off (sometimes showing me somehow driving inside the nearest body of water :( ) It does eventually come back but takes a very long time (10-15 mins). Ford should implement some kind of restart button w/o having to actually turn the car off.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. deerfarm

deerfarm Active Member

City, State:
    Hickory, NC
    2017 Limited
    You may have a different problem, but I think it is due to ford using a type of GPS that has a weak signal from the satellites. It can be easily interrupted by overhanging obstructions or even clouds. It is not uncommon for me to get the X on the screen without an obvious affect on the GPS on cloudy days. I have only lost the total signal three or four times.

I have two toyotas with GPS and have never lost the signal.

Last edited: June 15, 2011
  4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    My Camry loses GPS signal sometimes if it's very overcast, or at the mall under the 2-level parking structure. Sometimes takes about 5 minutes to recover. The Garmin does the same thing sometimes.

5. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

2011 Limited
    Are you in a city with lots of tall buildings? I find that GPS inside cities is almost useless as the tall buildings obscure the signal from the satellites.

Keep in mind that the GPS device needs to find multiple satellites to get a position fix.

6. vfral1

vfral1 Active Member

City, State:
    Cumming, GA
    '11 LTD Golden Bronze
    hannibalhector, I see you're in NYC, so it's probably due to being surrounded by buildings. Here in Atlanta, we have not nearly the size or number of skyscrapers as in NYC yet the Nav struggles at times. This happens with both my Ford Nav and my Garmin.