• Register Today It's free!

GPS issue

hannibalhector

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I have this issue where if I'm parked in an indoor lot, and I turn on my Ex, when I finally pull out of the lot, the GPS is crossed out. If I have a destination punched in, the entire route will be way off (sometimes showing me somehow driving inside the nearest body of water :( ) It does eventually come back but takes a very long time (10-15 mins). Ford should implement some kind of restart button w/o having to actually turn the car off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have a different problem, but I think it is due to ford using a type of GPS that has a weak signal from the satellites. It can be easily interrupted by overhanging obstructions or even clouds. It is not uncommon for me to get the X on the screen without an obvious affect on the GPS on cloudy days. I have only lost the total signal three or four times.

I have two toyotas with GPS and have never lost the signal.

My Camry loses GPS signal sometimes if it's very overcast, or at the mall under the 2-level parking structure. Sometimes takes about 5 minutes to recover. The Garmin does the same thing sometimes.

I have this issue where if I'm parked in an indoor lot, and I turn on my Ex, when I finally pull out of the lot, the GPS is crossed out. If I have a destination punched in, the entire route will be way off (sometimes showing me somehow driving inside the nearest body of water :( ) It does eventually come back but takes a very long time (10-15 mins). Ford should implement some kind of restart button w/o having to actually turn the car off.

Are you in a city with lots of tall buildings? I find that GPS inside cities is almost useless as the tall buildings obscure the signal from the satellites.

Keep in mind that the GPS device needs to find multiple satellites to get a position fix.

hannibalhector, I see you're in NYC, so it's probably due to being surrounded by buildings. Here in Atlanta, we have not nearly the size or number of skyscrapers as in NYC yet the Nav struggles at times. This happens with both my Ford Nav and my Garmin.

Back