Great and easy way to remove stuck rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great and easy way to remove stuck rotors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This man deserve a tap in the back alobng side a double thumbs up. Video should be a sticky

Yeah whoever thought of that was pure genius. I couldn't get over how easy, not to mention. Time saving that was! Trip to the hardware store and .80 some odd cents of bolts washers and nuts and life was good. Literally took more time to put it all together than it did to pop the rotors off. I was able to do the passenger side using just one bolt on the bottom and it popped off fine

i've always just used some heat from a torch. faster and easier.

Had a Nissan truck that had two threaded holes next to the hub hole on the rear drums. When you wanted to remove the drums you just ran two 10mm bolts into the holes and it pushed the drum off. I always thought that was great and wondered why other manufacturers didn't do the same.

Had a Nissan truck that had two threaded holes next to the hub hole on the rear drums. When you wanted to remove the drums you just ran two 10mm bolts into the holes and it pushed the drum off. I always thought that was great and wondered why other manufacturers didn't do the same.

i've seen that on a lot of non-u.s. vehicles. it is a good idea.

My Hyundai Sonata has the same threaded holes.
As for the video... old news. Published in Aug 2013.
See one from 2009:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Which is why I made the comment originally the some may have seen this tip. For guys like me that don't get much time to wrench on cars this is new and I thought others that are in the same boat I am could benefit.

That's a really good idea... Personally I have had bad luck with my rear rotors getting stuck on the E brake lip on the inside of the rotor. Even with it backed all the way out they still take some persuasion to break loose.

My new(er) Subaru Impreza has two threaded holes through the rotor that the caliper bolts fit into. First time I used them I ended up mashing up the threads at the end and had to buy new caliper bolts (amateur mistake). Next side I used heat before threading in the caliper bolts to push against the hub and it worked like a charm.

I agree with Koda... the best go-to will always be heat + PB Blaster + a big hammer, but this method is a little less labor intensive.

My BAH has never failed to remove a rotor.

But to make the procedure in the video even shorter, once you get a good strain on the bolts, whack the rotor with your hammer, preferably between the studs (since thats where the rust is).

I was a little perplexed at how far the rotor moved (~1/2") before it "popped". Thats strange.

That's a cool trick. But I work in a shop, so I have never had an issue with just using a large hammer, and it that doesn't work I get a bigger hammer. I have actually broken a rotor clean in half with my mini Thor hammer, talk about a surprise, lol.

Wish I had seen that before. Had the same thing with my daughter's Liberty.
Worked on that sucker for an hour. Even went to Auto Zone and bought a puller. Still couldn't get it off. Finally a lot of beating with a rubber hammer finally got it. Used a lot of anti-seize on the new one. :)
By the way, I hate Jeep Libertys. Worse vehicle ever, everything breaks on this @#$%@! thing.

Great post! I wish I saw this years ago, my rotors were good n stuck, for the life of me I couldn't get them to budge, I paid a local shop to remove them for me, they said they had to cut apart to get them off....(they were on their for 14 years)

Great post

Back