Green HIDs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i saw some green HIDs online and thought how freaking awesome! so i was wondering if anyone has legal ones are they nice? i found some on ebay that are legal and they look nice but i want some feedback please!!! thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ANY HID retrofit into a stock halogen headlight is illegal.

The only colors permissible for forward lighting is WHITE and YELLOW/AMBER.

We have this little known regulatory body called the Department of Transportation, or DOT as it is known amongst secret circles, that makes dumb rules like this to make driving a safe experience where you injure/kill as few people as possible and cause as little property damage as possible. /sarcasm

State and local laws may vary to add exemptions for certain things, as may highway patrol/cop laziness, so you may not be ticketed for them immediately or ever even. However, cop laziness aside, you will eventually be ticketed for having green headlights.

Greed HIDs are absolutely stupid, unless strictly for offroad use/show.

Having a 10,000k set which is very blue is bad enough, the actual light output when theres that much color is just awful. You may be able to see decent when its clear outside, but when it rains, and is dark, you might as well turn the lights off and put some damn sunglasses on.

Also, STAY AWAY FROM eBay KITS! Trust me. Spend some extra cash for a REAL kit, and it will actually work right, and last. Ive had numerous eBay kits, hoping for better results everytime, but nothing.

hmmm hold on a sec bro!

ANY HID retrofit into a stock halogen headlight is illegal.

The only colors permissible for forward lighting is WHITE and YELLOW/AMBER.

We have this little known regulatory body called the Department of Transportation, or DOT as it is known amongst secret circles, that makes dumb rules like this to make driving a safe experience where you injure/kill as few people as possible and cause as little property damage as possible. /sarcasm

State and local laws may vary to add exemptions for certain things, as may highway patrol/cop laziness, so you may not be ticketed for them immediately or ever even. However, cop laziness aside, you will eventually be ticketed for having green headlights.

Thanks for your atemt to ruin my dreams but um uh... i role around on an X with green LEDs on my running boards that light up a six lane highway, also green LEDs in my grills, and a sign on the roof with XPLODR written in LEDs... trust me It would look bad ass... just saying legal or not i have green fogs and they have yet to get me in trouble and my friends who are cops love em... so laziness really isnt what you should complain about just because you dont like HIDs.......

Thanks for your atemt to ruin my dreams but um uh... i role around on an X with green LEDs on my running boards that light up a six lane highway, also green LEDs in my grills, and a sign on the roof with XPLODR written in LEDs... trust me It would look bad ass... just saying legal or not i have green fogs and they have yet to get me in trouble and my friends who are cops love em... so laziness really isnt what you should complain about just because you dont like HIDs.......

You role around on an X? You have a sign on your roof? Green fogs? WTF!

How the F^*@ do you see at night?

And when did he ever say he hated HIDs? Hes saying the cops who have seen your "XPLODR" (For literate folks, that means EXPLORER), are too lazy to pull you over for the various laws your breaking.

Short revised answer- no, nobody has green HID's that are legal.

Sorry if you interpreted my telling you the federal motor vehicle regulations for operating a vehicle on public roads and highways as an attempt to ruin your dreams. I would have told you that you won't see anything if you use that junk, but I had a feeling you would do some HID fanboi act and tell me about the night and day difference you have seen between your stock halogen bulbs and your (insert however many bazillion kelvin bulbs you are running here).

BTW, WTF? sign on your roof? Lastly. You don't have any cop friends. Quit lying. No one is going to hate you for not having 1 or 2 cop friends. Lying about cop friends won't make your argument any more legitimate. Even if you had cop friends who like them, that also doesn't make your argument any more legitimate, because they are still illegal. The reason they only allow lighting of a specific color for forward or rear lighting is for visibility.

Some states allow other colors of lights to be visible, or the illumination provided by those lights to be visible elsewhere on your vehicle (such as undercarriage lighting). Some cops just don't care. However, forward facing lights are, according to the gub'ment, supposed to be white or yellow/amber. Here, I will give you a hint where to start. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard no 108

Here is a link to FMVSS 108 http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm

Da Gub'ment said:
Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88: White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow;

Also, as a special service to you, look up New Jersey State Code title 39, section 39. That should cover any further issues you have with the legality (or lack thereof) of your lights.

Got any pictures of those green LED's hitting the road though? I'm curious to see..

I had a contour years back with green undercarriage LEDs that lit up quite a chunk of the road. I could find a picture of that if you want an example. I'm sure it isn't too far off from what he is talking about.

I've seen green HID's on a Vdub, they looked absolutely retarded

I am sure all those specialty colors, pink, green, whatever, dont put out jack for light. People that get HID's dimmer then halogens for the "bling" factor are just closet ricers

wow man i just love this site so much more now...

Got any pictures of those green LED's hitting the road though? I'm curious to see..

you think im gunna post pictures to show you and all these ppl who hate me right now? sorry bro i think it will just make it worse :/

and the xplodr sign is ####ing amazing in the day and night its a peice of wood 5" up and across in between my thule racks... why are all of you so against how cool my truck looks? an now i will be sure to either get some really good green headlights or just never ask a question on this forum again... i thought this place was cool before today.

im not asking any of you to put me down... that wasnt the question but thank you.

you have succeeded

FIND you really know how to shut someone down :) bet your a happy camper!!! :D :D :D

oh and your BS about my friends... why would i lie about something like that lol im not out to atack anyone dude these friends of mine who happen to be cops really do enjoy my truck and im not making it up, that would be sad...

You mentioned legality, so I informed you they were not legal. I don't want anyone to view this thread and think "Hey that is a great idea and completely legal"

actually personally, I would prefer if no one got HID retrofit bulbs and think they are legal in any way or not going to blind every other driver on the road.... but that is a completely different animal.

Just to be clear. None of us are making fun of your sign or LEDs, I was just confused what the sign on your roof had to do with LEDs. Though, to be honest, I have serious doubts that a sign on your roof looks anything but silly, but to each his own. We are just telling you there are legality issues. Though, it has been mentioned that colored HIDs that are putting out next to no usable light are kind of dumb. But hey, if you are too embarrassed to show pics of your explorer now, sorry. Personally I have nothing against customization, lights or anything else. Certain things just have their place, like green HIDs belong at car shows and not on the street. I think exhaust flamethrowers are kinda cool.... but I would be the first to call someone a retard for using them on the highway.

A couple people are making fun of your spelling and grammar however, but you should expect that.... when you are communicating in written form, it is generally considered proper etiquette that you will write properly. Could you imagine how frustrated you would get if someone came up to you and was speaking in unintelligible slurring and grunting.... yeah same thing.

Anyways, you are a 17 year old guy. Lighten up. You are going to face criticism your entire life for various things. You have to learn to take it in stride. Also, you are going to have to realize that your tastes as a teenager are probably going to be viewed as strange to the older people around you.

Still.... the fact that you are 17, and claim to have cop friends who like a bunch of illegal lighting on your car (in a state that is pretty strict when it comes to inspections and vehicle safety/conspicuity requirements), is what leads me to the belief that you are making the "cop friend" part up.... This is the internet.... you see lots of people like that.

OK....Everyone has had their say. There is no where for this thread to go but down from here. So, I'm closing it now. If you have more to say, take it to PM.
Later, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back