• Register Today It's free!

Gremlins in Speedometer/Odometer

Georgia_Birdman

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My speedometer/odometer is having an intermittent problem. Most of the time they work OK, but every so often, they just stop. I notice that the speedometer needle goes all the way to zero and the odometer stops turning over. Sometimes it will stop and start repeatedly then just quit. When I drive the vehicle after a while of being parked, it will work again. Sometimes, I can knock on the instrument panel and it will start working again. Knocking isn't working anymore now. I ruled out the speed sensor in the rear end by verifying the operation of cruise control. I feel that the trouble is in the cluster itself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the connection to the dash panel is a push in and clip ribbon style,, they can get loose,, take it out , make sure it clips back in properly,, put the dash back together,

95-97 trucks have issues with the small black gear breaking inside. 98+ guts can be swapped in and are upgraded.

It's on the speedo motor above the odometer. Pull the cluster. Take the glass off, pop outer gauges out then you can pull the center speedo/tach out. It's on the back side of there.

I jiggled all my fuses and the speedometer and odometer both started working again. I don't know what fuse was loose. Which fuse protects the speedo/odo circuit?

Back