Grinding sound when accelerating - 1800 thru 2000 rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding sound when accelerating - 1800 thru 2000 rpm

bluesq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited 4x4
I'm getting a grinding sound when accelerating at exactly 1800 - 2000 rpm. It's worse from a dead stop but I can also reproduce it from a rolling start where I would be in that rpm range (about 30-40 mph). It happens whether the wheel is straight or turned and it is more apparent the more aggressive I am on the throttle. If i feather it it's barely there. Only happens in gear, not when in neutral or park. I can feel it through the pedal every time and it feels/sounds like its coming from the front drivetrain / linkage. The transmission is rebuilt and now 15000 miles old. I'm the 3rd owner and I don't have any service records besides the tranny rebuild. I only noticed this after a very heavy rain, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm taking the truck to my mechanic for a brake job but I wanted to throw it out to the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this so I can have an idea of what to expect. If I were to bet I'd say it's something in the front linkage, CV joints or axles. However, since the rpm band that it appears in is so narrow and only when throttle is applied it gives me concern it could be something else like a differential.

I have a 2008 V6 4x4 Limited, 92000 miles

Back