Grrrrinding Binding Noise....

cody_stl

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EB
2007 Explorer EB Auto 4x4 4.0L

So...I have been researching a problem to no real avail. I bought this explorer in july of 2011 with 70,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it was all ready in need of tires, which the dealership was not interested in replacing once I haggled them down to the price I wanted. So, the vehicle had a slight road noise, I chalked up to it having 4 bald tires being the cause. In December I made a mistake and picked up 4 used tires to last me through any snow that may occur before Tax time and 4 NEW tires.

During this time it made a VERY obvious noise. Best described as a moaning/groaning/binding/wurrring type of sound emitting from underneath the vehicle, and also felt through the steering wheel and pedals. This noise occurred most at low speeds (20mph or less) with MINIMAL throttle, poking around town. Steering wheel orientation seemed to make no difference. The noise continued through highway speeds, but at a higher frequency and less noticeable. WHEN 4x4 High is engaged the sound is magnified greatly.

After a quick diagnosis from my local ford dealer, he stated that the initial problem is the tires are a total of 3/4 of an inch difference in circumference combined, and that my vehicle only allows for 1/4 inch difference total. The noise was coming from the transfer case, and I needed to replace the tires first and foremost. My mistake..

Got my new tires last week....noise is still there. Granted, it is NOT as noticeable and pronounced as it was with the mismatched tires...but the noise is still there.Maybe it is my imagination, but I remember my explorer traveling and coasting with ease, I swear it seems lately that the vehicle is holding itself back...like it does not want to go, and engine/natural deceleration is more pronounced. My aggravation is magnified 10 fold by the fact that my girlfriend drives the EXACT same vehicle (except hers is a V8), and her vehicle seems so much quieter and smoother than mine! This makes me jealous...

I am technically inclined (Automotive Trade school, maintain my own vehicles, etc) So I am willing to fix this problem myself if need be.

My questions are:

1) Is the 4.6L inherently quieter than the 4.0L?? When it comes to engine/road noise?

2) Even though the transfer case seems to be the obvious culprit...I have heard stories of excessive noise, funny noises, binding and groaning stemming from wheel bearings. I read one post where a guy thought other people were crazy, saying that their explorers had a quiet ride...then after replacing his front wheel bearings, tasted this sweet silence everyone spoke of. Also have read of bearings needing replaced based on noise alone, and showed no signs of "play". Could this be the wheel bearings? Would the new tires make the bearing noise less pronounced? OR is this clearly a transfer case issue?

3) Can my transfer case be rebuilt? Or is it a replace only?

4) What is the average cost of replacement/rebuild of a transfer case on this vehicle?

5) How can I further diagnose this problem noise? Place the vehicle on jackstands and operate it at low speeds to trace the noise if possible? How else can bad wheel bearings be detected other than "play".

Some things I have all ready checked:
-Differential fluids are full and look clean.
-Transfer case fluid is full and bright red.
-Front axles do seem to have "play" in them where they enter the front differential.
-Seems to sometimes have a clunk in the front end somewhere under certain conditions.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it AWD or 2WD? If its AWD check the CV axles and front driveshaft. Try remving the front driveshaft and see if there is any change. Note that if it is AWD if you remove the front driveshaft the truck might drift in park so set the park brake or block the wheels in park.

In My 2007 Explorer with 64,450 miles I am hearing a noise, mostly at 50mph and above. Its not loud, but definitely noticeable.

The best I can do to describe the sound is: When you hear a truck or jeep with large off road tires humming down the road.

My tires are brand new Firestone Destination LE2, and have great reviews for being nice and quiet on Tirerack.com and elsewhere.

It sounds like it could be from the front differential, wheel bearings, or maybe the transfer case? OR, is this just how this vehicle sounds?!

Thanks for any input!

My 06 Ex just started to hear the noise (118500 miles). It sounds like driving over a grated bridge. Tech said that the Front Left Bearings were making the noise and I should consider replacing it. He said that at this time, there's not play in the hub just noisy. There is a good write-up on replacing the hub a few pages back in this forum. Just waiting for time to order a replacement part and install it.

Back