• Register Today It's free!

Had a little fire...

Matt Becker

Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I replaced the timing chains in my sport trac, valves in the heads, injector seats, everything...timed everything with the OTC tool...things seemed to be going great.

After about 3 seconds of cranking, I noticed a "hard turn" of the engine. I stopped, thought maybe it was just trying to fire, finally. So I cranked some more and it backfired through the intake.

I looked everything over and it looked great still...so I tried one more time. Proof!

Intake caught on fire after another backfire.

WTF!

Anyway, burned up the intake, vacuum hoses, and wiring harness. I found a person relatively close that is parting out a 2003, but it's a 2wd. So my question, (besides what could have caused a damn fire) is...will a 2wd engine wiring harness work on a 4x4 version?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I pressure checked all the cylinders with the camshafts out to make sure I had no valve blow by...so I'm not understanding what I could have done wrong.

i think you may have a bigger problem on your hands now. if its backfiring threw your intake, the motor is out of time which i will also say you have a bent valve. chances are that "hard turn" was the valve meeting the piston. my suggestion to you right now is unplug the coil, and fuel pump relay, and do a compression test.

I just don't understand how it could have been out of time though...the OTC tool is designed to prevent that. Plus, at TDC I noted the the camshaft tic was up on the left cam, and both valves were closed on the right head for #1 cylinder. (Add to that, the darn timing tool only fits in 1 way)

I'm thinking about just pushing it into the lake.

I was planning on an air compressor test tomorrow with the valve covers off and resetting the timing tools to see what happened...

Interesting

Dang sorry to hear that. The answer is yes those parts should work
But you need to check your work and possibly do a compression test

Fire = raw fuel
Whenever you re seat a fuel rail you better check for leaks before you bump the starter

Second thought (I may have jumped the gun on this, sorry for making you sweat) recheck your firing order. You may have mixed up some wires. Do that first. If it still backfires then do a compression

for what ever reason i posted that using my cellphone and it never sent it

I did do all of that...double and triple checked 5 and 6, as they are the ones that most screw up.

Anyway...we started looking at it today and said screw it...hauled it to the auction house. So if you want a nice 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 with a rebuilt 4.0.(that needs a wiring harness and a vacuum set)...look to PurpleWave.com in a few weeks.

Yes I do I collect them!
Sorry this happened, this is a perfect example of what happens to these trucks when the sohc engines go bad.....dang. Good trucks find the auction block

Yes I do I collect them!
Sorry this happened, this is a perfect example of what happens to these trucks when the sohc engines go bad.....dang. Good trucks find the auction block

If you collect them...do you want 1 more?

yes
ALWAYS I build sport tracs they are my favorite of all the RBV
If you are patient and put it for sale locally you should be able to get $1000-2000 for a good condition trac with lower miles (under 200K) and a bad engine
over 200K and in more rough condition they fetch $800+
Of course your local market may be slightly different
you are pretty far away from me, I am in North Idaho but I am buying up as many clean build projects as I can get
There are people like me all over this country, these trucks have a following, somebody will want it. Going to auction is ne good way to get rid of it but you are probably cutting yourself a little short
If its in good shape
Has a title
No/little rust
then its still worth something!

yes
ALWAYS I build sport tracs they are my favorite of all the RBV
If you are patient and put it for sale locally you should be able to get $1000-2000 for a good condition trac with lower miles (under 200K) and a bad engine
over 200K and in more rough condition they fetch $800+
Of course your local market may be slightly different
you are pretty far away from me, I am in North Idaho but I am buying up as many clean build projects as I can get

I could meet ya in Northern Nebraska somewhere...

I understand and thank you for the offer! This time of year there is no way I am towing across country
I wish I could grab them all but I just cant
If you post it up for sale on here and your local craigslist somebody will want it!
If it was spring time or Summer I would be all over it
I already made several trips to Colorado and back I am all road tripped out for a while
Have my family in town for the Holidays etc
If it still avail in the spring time lets do this
Or we can help you fix it!!!
There are so many SOHC engines you can always get a good used one and drop it in

Well, I'm done working on this one. It beat me.

I've moved on to a 2004 Jeep for my son...

Back