1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Had my Ex a couple months random probs...

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by 5.0inprovo, December 29, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 5.0inprovo

5.0inprovo Member

City, State:
      Provo, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 xlt
      I have a few questions, searched and was unable to find my answers so here goes.

I bought my Ex two months ago, I love it. It is a '98 5.0 w/ 85k. Now that I have had it a while the little things are getting to me, so here goes.

1. Over Christmas parked at the airport for 4 days in sub-freezing temps, when I got back and tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over right away. The first 3 attempts at starting just produced the desil effect, as some call it, where the motor rocks and knocks for a second after the starter stops, but doesn't turn over. On the 4th attempt I floored the gas pedal and it finally fired. Starting has been rough since, but after it is started it still runs fine. I have recently changed the plugs, but nothing else.

2. The driver side rear door doesn't activate the cab lights. I realize it is connected to the latch inside the door, but I don't know if there is a fuse associated with it, or if there is a wire disconnected inside the door, or what.

3. The shocks are shot, still on the stockers, I realize there are hundreds of threads on this, but I must ask again... Do you get what you pay for in shocks? Many say no, and I am cheap. Are cheaper shocks going to last a while, be less soft and so on? I am looking for the most smoothe road ride, I RARELY off road.

4. The transmission was serviced the day I bought (pan off) it and the fluid seemd fine. It shifts fine except for on a cold start 2 to 3 shift takes forever to happen. After the first time it goes away untill cold again.

Thank you in advance for any help.
      Dan

Last edited: December 31, 2004
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      1. In cold weather, the battery is cut to less than half its capacity - couple that with some dirty terminals, etc. and you are in for problems. Sounds like you might be in for a new battery. Check the old one for water level first (if you can) the still dry out - and adding distilled water can bring back an almost dead battery. Remember, just becasue you are not using the truck doesn't mean that the clocks, computer, alarm, etc., are not still draining juice...

2. You will have to prod around with the switch - the wire is not likely off - but it could be. Pull the door panel and hit it with an electrical tester to make sure that you have juice. Harbor Freight has cheap volt-ohmmeters (sometimes sell for under $5) that will assist you in testing out the wires.

3. Stick a set of Monroes or Gabriels on there. Any new shock is better than dead, worn out stockers. Some of the high dollar items are great - but I haven't seen that much difference to make a huge difference until you start pushing the limits of your Ex.

4. spta97

spta97 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      NY, NY
      2000 5.0 AWD
      I can offer a sugguestion to question #3. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money so I eneded up getting a set of Gabriel VSTs (also branded now as "Ultras") from AutoZone. Installation was not terribly difficult and I was able to get away with less than $100 for the set of four. They have been good shocks although the ride is stiff (probably because it is a truck and I run at 35PSI). All in all they were a good investment and well worth the money. I can now take bumps without "puckering up" as opposed to the stock shocks which would rattle my brain. I also only had about 30k on the stocks before I replaced them.

5. 5.0inprovo

5.0inprovo Member

City, State:
      Provo, UT
      '98 xlt
      Bump: Added a forth question. Thanks guys, this board is great.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      #4. With that model tranny, any slow shift in the 2/3 - 3/4 range is likely a plugged or semi-pliugged screen on one of the shift solenoids.

There are a lot of threads on this forum dealing with specific transmission repairs - I suggest that you do a search for 5R55E not shifting and you will likely find more info than you care to read.