Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ham Radio Guys

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by SethD, January 28, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. johnny499

johnny499 Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    brooklyn park,mn
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
    Callsign:
    W3JF
    Thank's!
    Yah i have been reading through the book off and on since last fall, which probably didn't help but life happens. I actually only made it to the first section of chapter six in the book and that was just before the test. I had been regularly doing the test prep app. on my phone which definitely helped. I will probably try for the Extra one of these days if i want to do more on HF. I did try taking the extra test last night but did not pass.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Congrats John! The fun begins!

4. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Learning code at 20wpm is one of the hardest things I've done in my life. I learned it, passed the test, and never used it again. I call myself a "know" code Extra, as in; I know the code, but never use it ;)

5. Brad C

Brad C Active Member

City, State:
    Central Ohio
    2019 Explorer Sport
    Callsign:
    KG8S
    Yep, exactly the same way with me Rick. Learned the code, passed the test and have never used the "skill". I suppose I might be able to eek out 5 wpm, but that would probably be a stretch. I do "hear" letters/words from time to time randomly. I suppose its like riding a bike, you never really forget how to do it.

6. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    I was never able to hear words even at 20wpm. I was struggling letter by letter. The few times I actually made on the air QSOs with code I was literally sweating when I was done:eek:

7. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    1997 Monsterneer
    Callsign:
    KI6MCO
    I have been in to CB since the late 70's. The primary reason I never considered becoming a ham operator was because of the code requirement. Just no interest in learning code that I know I would not use. In the 80's (I think) when the code requirement went away I had a customer that knew me and my experience with the CB. He started pestering me to take the test. Still I was under motivated. It wasn't until there was some volume of wheelers that started actively using ham radio that I deemed the effort worth my time.

I still very rarely use my ham radio when wheeling because there are only a couple of people I have met that have ham radio. But I am glad I have it.

Dan

8. johnny499

johnny499 Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    brooklyn park,mn
    98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
    Callsign:
    W3JF
    That is why i decided to take the second element for the no code technician license back in the mid nineties. I had no desire for code back then or now! I originally got it to talk locally on the long drives to and from work before the age of the cell phone. Being able to talk around the world has intrigued me lately.

9. bronchole

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    1997 Monsterneer
    Callsign:
    KI6MCO
    I have had a lot of fun talking around the world on CB using ssb.

10. bullitt4514

bullitt4514 New Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas
    97 EX Anti controltrac!
    Dan

kd7cwg

Had a Tech plus for 20 years now

Need to get my Extra one of these days!

11. rizzjc

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    I was studying for novice in college, and was about halfway through the code, when they dropped the code requirement for technician. The code would always jumble on me when I got to the halfway point. I took the technician class and passed, and years later upgraded to general add soon they dumped the code requirement. Same thing. I was working on our, but couldn't get further than halfway. I'll upgrade to extra one of these days.

12. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    I was into CBs when I was a kid during the Smokey and Bandit driven CB radio craze. I was very interested in ham radio at the time, but I couldn't even pickup 5wpm. My training tool was an LP with Morse code lessons on it. You can only imagine how many times I had to pick up the needle and place it back at the beginning of the track to replay the code. That got old REAL quick and I gave up.

Fast forward probably 15 years... I had moved to Arizona and got very into fourwheeling. My wife and I would go out on our own quite a bit. All we had for emergency communications was a CB. For what we were doing it was practically worthless. I found a linear amplifier for a CB in our newspaper's for sale ads, I wanted the amp to help make the CB more useful for emergency communications from remote areas.

While I was at his house checking out the amp, a friend of the seller came over and they started talking about the new "No Code Tech" license. I asked about it, my face lit up, and I told the seller I wouldn't be needing his linear amp anymore. Sorry, but thanks for the info about the No Code license!!

I went straight from his house to a Radio Shack store where I bought a No Code Tech test book... Within a month both my wife and I had passed our tests. My first sign was KB7TKP and Char's is still KB7TKQ:chug:

13. rizzjc

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    My story is about the same as you Rick, except for the LP. I at least had a cassette tape. ;) But, same deal, rewinding all the time, got through half the alphabet, and it became scrambled in my head. Got my code-free tech as soon as it was available. Did the same with General. I think I missed 5 questions too many to get the extra at the same time. One of these days.

14. 2TimingTom

2TimingTom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Littleton, Colorado
    '97 XLT
    KE0EMQ

Got mine because my local overlanding group really pushes Ham. While on a trip about a month before I got my license, I called out over the CB: "why's it so quiet on the radio?" The response was something to effect of: all the chatter is on the Ham frequency.

Got my license just before the Kokpeli Trail trip in Moab. Not sure how many questions I missed. I didn't even want to try for the next level.

All I have for a radio is the BaoFeng handheld:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXXIZ8M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    I would like to upgrade to something more powerful and get a vehicle mounted radio.

15. bronchole

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    1997 Monsterneer
    Callsign:
    KI6MCO
    Upgrading to a vehicle mounted antenna will make a huge difference and will eventually be necessary when you go to a mobile radio anyway. Do that now and enjoys the benefits.

BTW, for those of you reading this that do not have your license yet, a scanner will allow you to monitor the "ham chatter" on the trail.

Dan

16. johnny499

johnny499 Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    brooklyn park,mn
    98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
    Callsign:
    W3JF
    BTW, for those of you reading this that do not have your license yet, a scanner will allow you to monitor the "ham chatter" on the trail.

Dan[/QUOTE]

But be aware that in states like MN. they are illegal to possess in a vehicle unless you have an amateur radio license, so that's a catch 22 here. That also goes for amateur radios capable of receiving any police emergency frequency.

17. kmelvin

kmelvin New Member

2005 Mountaineer
    KA8BSA from Ohio

18. johnny499

johnny499 Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    brooklyn park,mn
    98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
    Callsign:
    W3JF
    I've been reading the extra class book since late last year and finally took the test last night and passed. Now i am thinking about a shorter vanity call sign. Still no code in my future...
    I have made contacts from coast to coast with a hundred watt's and a couple of different home made wire antennas. I have had fun making the balun's and antennas.

KB0NAC for now.

19. rizzjc

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Congratulations! I started studying for extra, but never got done. Thinking about it again since the question pool is changing this summer.

20. Icuff4cash

Icuff4cash Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Las vegas
    1994 aerostar awd
    Kg7uro las vegas

Hello I'm Robert Lombardo from Las Vegas nv. I have a few baofeng and a yasue ft 857d. I just joined the Aerostar awd forum. And I saw the ham listings. I'm a aarl ve and hope to pass my extra at the end of April. Now I'm the owner of a space shuttle I'm just waiting to install my atas 120 and a few 2m-70cm whips. I just got into fox hunting so I see many antennas in my future
    Icuff4cash@gmail.com

21. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Morris Plains, NJ
    92 XLT

Me, too. I keep buying the books and never get around to studying and then the question pool changes. I have the Gordon West book, which was recommended to me. Gotta do it this spring.

I've had an Advanced license (no longer issued) since 1968. It's 'way past time to upgrade.

"Bwana" Bob WB2VUF