Hankook Optimo Discontinued | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hankook Optimo Discontinued

TTSport15

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 ford explorer sport
Hit a pot hole and blew out tire take it to get replaced and what do you know they stopped making them...tire rack said they found a few in Indiana 4 days to get it...anyone in NY selling 1 tire??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hit a pot hole and blew out tire take it to get replaced and what do you know they stopped making them...tire rack said they found a few in Indiana 4 days to get it...anyone in NY selling 1 tire??
Have you tried the Classifieds section?

Peter

I hit a pothole this week too. Found my tire on tirebuyer.com. They had a local warehouse and delivered it that day to a shop (Firestone) near my house. Super fast and super easy fix. If you do a google search you can easily find an online discount code. I think the one I used was 9Ghost and I got 9% off. Best prices I found online for tires.

In a way, I would consider that a blessing. I could hardly wait to get those off of my 2014 XSport. Terrible, actually, dangerous in the rain. Replaced with the Michelin Premier LTX. Significantly better in rain and very quiet!

Before replacing just one tire be sure to check the tread depth of the other three and compare it to the new tire. Not sure what Ford's recommendation is but I did read that a difference of 3/32" is the max difference allowed for AWD vehicles. AWD vehicles work by monitoring wheel speed and if the diameter difference between the new tire(s) and the others is too great damage to the drive train can occur. An option is having the new tire ground down to match the tread depth of the other tires.

Sport is front wheel drive...

No, every Sport is AWD... Ford never paired the 3.5L TT EcoBoost to an FWD-only application to my knowledge. Every Explorer Sport from 2011+ is an AWD application.

Sport is AWD
This is what I had said to dealer after I had a spin out in wet weather and he insisted it was front wheel drive....I guess I should have just googled it then and returned the info to him...Thnx

Certainly they are front wheel drive biased.

A common misconception with Ford AWD is that it is purely reactive... if one watches the AWD power distribution gauge, you'll see that it engages both axles on every single take-off whether conditions require it or not. Power tapers off as appropriate, or distributions shift as conditions require.

Certainly they are front wheel drive biased.

A common misconception with Ford AWD is that it is purely reactive... if one watches the AWD power distribution gauge, you'll see that it engages both axles on every single take-off whether conditions require it or not. Power tapers off as appropriate, or distributions shift as conditions require.
Accelerating would one of the 'conditions'.:)

It's particularly amusing with the myriad of Explorer reviews that screw it up every time assuming it sits idle in the background in the dry. C'est la vie. We know the secret. :D

...check dealer for tires and prices, I had to replace a set of 2 and tire shop said same - discontinued and had to wait a day.
Dealer had them available and over $50 ea less.
Also If they dont have the H's they should have a compatible model...

...check dealer for tires and prices, I had to replace a set of 2 and tire shop said same - discontinued and had to wait a day.
Dealer had them available and over $50 ea less.
Also If they dont have the H's they should have a compatible model...
I did they said 4 day wait and 385$ lol.....I ended up with mavis tire 245$installed

FYI I ordered 2 of these hanooks today 104h $154 each.. from townfair tire in Stratford CT.. they said they were discontinued but call the warehouse and had some in stock.. Plus there was a note from the vender that ford was requesting these to be placed back in production.

FYI I ordered 2 of these hanooks today 104h $154 each.. from townfair tire in Stratford CT.. they said they were discontinued but call the warehouse and had some in stock.. Plus there was a note from the vender that ford was requesting these to be placed back in production.
Lol figures.....o well I'll wait til the next pot hole

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I wonder if Ford is using the Hankook H426 on other models? I don't think the current Explorers use them anymore.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In a way, I would consider that a blessing. I could hardly wait to get those off of my 2014 XSport. Terrible, actually, dangerous in the rain. Replaced with the Michelin Premier LTX. Significantly better in rain and very quiet!
I just put Premier LTXs on mine last week. They're noticeably quieter on the freeway... haven't driven much in the rain yet...

Back