Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hard Decisions: Dodge Ram 1500 or X?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by sk1er17, November 21, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. sk1er17

sk1er17 My "Jeep Thing" itches...

City, State:
    NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 Sport
    So a guy in my neighborhood is selling a truck like this:
    [​IMG]

4x4, 80K miles, 5.9L V8

Id probably lift it and put 37's on it. my buddy has a turbo diesal 1500 on 39's thats sweet, but too big for me. 37's would be fine.

Problem is I love my X. And have planned to always keep it as a "trail rig" even after i get a new car. Basically because i know i can't get crap for selling it. hell there's a sport with an SAS for sale on here for like $6K.

A little more backround: i have 3 more semesters of engineering to go, im not rich by any means- but have a guranteed job of at least $40k/yr when i graduate- so im hoping any car loans i have left will be paid off.

any thoughts/opinions/ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    btw: this is how it would look within a year after i got it (not too big.. not too small)
    Here

4. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
    Johnstown, PA
    2001 Jeep Cherokee
    I say if you really want it and can manage the $$ for both cars for a few months while you finish up, go for it. Although be warned, trannies aren't the best either.

5. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    yea i know about the trannies... lol our explorer tranny's arent largely complained about but mines still goin stong after 145k miles :D

and if i kept the X, its not really a matter of "managing" the money.. its more of an issue of scrounging the money for another year till i graduate.

id have to ask around and see what type of interest people have in buying it- i just couldnt sell it in my town... cause i dont think i could watch someone else drive it down the street :(

edit: you know what i need... a rich/bad driver in an H2 to not be paying attention and slam into the back of me :D

6. IAmTodd

City, State:
    Johnstown, PA
    2001 Jeep Cherokee
    I know what you mean about seeing it drive down the street and it passing you. But if you like the new truck, you won't even give it a second thought if it does. I've found that true. It was hard the first few days, and then you begin to focus on the new truck and forget(well, not entirely) about the old one. Good luck whatever you decision is!

7. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    thanks for the advice.

im actually talking to my girl about it now- she actually knows a whole bunch of people in maryland that saw my truck when i visit her that love it.

We've basically thought about it "logically"... i owe roughly $1k on it, my new engine just costs $3k , and i have $2K in bills: so for me to break totally even financially id have to get $6K for it. So she's going to ask around for $8k (long shot i know).. because then id have 2 in the bank and be able to get a loan for the new truck.

So basically- i need 1 of 2 miracles; either the lottery, or someone who's looking for "exactly" my truck.

otherwise.. lol darn im "stuck" with an explorer on 35's with a snorkel - guess that aint too bad :cool:

edit: lol you guys will like what she just said "ever since ive known you, you've spent 80% of every single day researching your next 'mod'.. i think you've just run out of mods to do and want a fresh start"

8. IAmTodd

City, State:
    Johnstown, PA
    2001 Jeep Cherokee
    If you found the right person I think you'd have no trouble getting $8k. Its just finding the right person. As of now, they're asking $6k for my old one. And its a few years older. But does have less miles. Good luck nontheless!

9. AspenX

AspenX Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Garland, TX Aspen,Co
    99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
    Keep the X. Pay down some bills, save some $ and graduate. :thumbsup: If you still want one then I'm sure there will be some for sale and prolly a couple of grand cheaper. It would make a great graduation present to yourself and you would be able to keep the X to play in. ;)

10. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Monroe, GA
    '93 Sport & '96 XLT
    I say keep it. You have a brand new motor, and one sweet truck. Once you graduate, then you can decide what car/truck you wanted to buy(and hopefully keep your X as your "trail rig"). JMO, good luck making a decision.

11. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ridley Park, PA
    1999 XLS R.I.P.
    I vote keep it till you graduate. Once you graduate, you will be able to afford something bigger and better, like something new instead of used.

12. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
    WA
    1994 XLT 4x4
    If you want it, buy it. I'd rather have that over my X but would rather have a Lightning over that :D

13. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
    san jose, california
    '95 XLT 4X4
    i think the smart thing to do is to keep the ex. you know it will alst you till you graduate and after that buy the other truck....no need to go into debt casue u WANT bigger and better...wait till you have the money

14. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
    Duluth, Ga
    2005 GTO
    I would get the Ram if you could...cant beat a solid axle. BUT, you are gonna have fun running those 37s on a D44. Over at www.pavementsucks.com there are a ton of built rams...not very many of them are still running the D44 with anything over 35s and they are still breaking shafts with 35s. Good luck with whatever you decide.

15. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    thanks guys. ive been talking to a few different ram guys from another board.

One of them told me if i want 37's do look into getting a 2500 instead of a 1500 (because thats already 2 " of lift right there)... does a 2500 have the same axels or bigger?

lol, and im so confused- cause i love my truck.. but i also want to be able to hang with guys like chris (lizardtrac) offroad, and that dodge could do it. Its like my trucks built to capacity for what it is- add a locker in the rear and it cant get any better unless I go SAS... in which case id rather have the Ram.

maybe ill have my girlfriend sell her jeep and she can take my X.. :D

16. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
    Duluth, Ga
    2005 GTO
    2500s should have a D60 front and D70 rear.

17. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    cool, thanks for the info..

so for 37's i should be looking at a 2500 and doing 5" suspension lift... sweet

18. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    :D , 87K miles, asking $12K (talk em down a little), 50 miles away, 2500

[​IMG]

im going to buy a lottery ticket on my way home from school today :banghead:

19. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elkridge, MD
    You also have to consider the longer wheel base for wheeling.. There will be some issues on some tight trails.

20. sk1er17

City, State:
    NJ
    '98 Sport
    ill trade my shorter wheel-base for a solid axle and 5.9L V8 and an extra 1.5 feet of ground clearance ;)

21. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
    Duluth, Ga
    2005 GTO
    Forgot...expect no more than 10 mpg with the 5.9. I had it in my Dakota and it SUCKS gas like no other, and it is really not all that power for such a large truck...but it is no less powerful than the 5.4 that the F150s had.