Hard Folding Tonneau Cover - anyone using it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Folding Tonneau Cover - anyone using it?

notomorrow

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Hi, new to the forums, so I apologize if I'm not approaching this question in the right manner.

I have a 2007 (early '06 model) Sport Trac Limited that I purchased used last fall. It came without several things I wish I had known about before completing the sale:

No Tonneau cover, so I've been looking at this one from Rugged Liner: http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-hardcover.php

Is anyone using this with the Sport Trac's composite bed? Rugged Liner makes a model for the Sport Trac, but I'm confused as to how it will mount - unlike most trucks, there is no 'lip' on the inside of the top of the bed-sides. If you look at the rugged liner literature, it uses these 'lips' to lock to; i just wondered if perhaps the Sport Trac version ships with a bolt-on lip (rail) for the sides.

Additionally, if anyone is using this cover, I'd love to know what you think of it in general, considering the weather, etc. A local parts dealer has it listed for $799 installed.

It's important that I not lose any internal depth in the bed, which is why i'm looking at a cover that mounts on top of the bed sides and not within the bed sides like the BakFlip and similar models.

Thanks in advance! I've got several other questions I'm curious about as to my ST, but I'll start with this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are patient you can pick up a stock tonneau cheaper.

Welcome...
I love my stock tonneau cover - it's the model that folds in half basically. I fold it all the time as to fit taller stuff in the bed. Only thing I dislike is the fact that it weighs A LOT making it difficult to take on and off by yourself (for me any way lol). But it does a good job of keeping rain out. I can go through a carwash and not have a drop in the bed.

More water leaks in my cab because of that stupid 3rd break light... but that's a different issue.

Hope this reply was applicable to your question!

Welcome...
I love my stock tonneau cover - it's the model that folds in half basically. I fold it all the time as to fit taller stuff in the bed. Only thing I dislike is the fact that it weighs A LOT making it difficult to take on and off by yourself (for me any way lol). But it does a good job of keeping rain out. I can go through a carwash and not have a drop in the bed.

More water leaks in my cab because of that stupid 3rd break light... but that's a different issue.

Hope this reply was applicable to your question!

Yeah, I had real problems with the 3rd break light. Tried my own solution of adding silicone, etc. Didn't work. Finally got fed up and simply bought the new lens with a much thicker gasket (Ford obviously new that was the problem) and haven't had an issue since.

The reason why I'm asking about the aftermarket T-cover is that I haven't come across much in the way of used stock covers in my area (southwest ohio), and from what I've seen online most auction sites and lists aren't local and still want $600 for as used stock cover. Ford still wants nearly $1200 for a new one.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and try this one from Rugged Liner.

Welcome...

I also have been pleasantly surprised by the stock cover. It is much more protective than advertised. I also have had a battle or two because of how much it weighs. Tried to take it off by myself and had it slip as I was stepping off the tailgate. The cover ended up on top of me on the cement floor of my garage but other than a few scuff marks that I am still trying to figure our how to touch-up neither of us got hurt much.

I agree about the weight and it got me wondering if that top could be stood on. Anyone know how much weight it can safely hold on top?

Stock OEM is worth it imo. Keep an eye out on craigs list, found mine that way $250. Also check the dealer it might be a little more expensive but not that far off from aftermarket.

Yes it is heavy but i've had two people stand up there, 300lbs combined, very strong, nice place to sit and watch stuff. Drop the tail gate to held get up there easily.

Back