• Register Today It's free!

Hard shifting on my 00 5.0!?

bohsandhoes

Reaction score
City, State
Riviera Beach, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt awd
hey thanks for lookin. so i recently purchased an impeccably clean 2000 explorer xlt 5.0 with 117,000 miles on it and have to say i love the truck. needs some new ball joints but thats no big deal.

only other thing i have notice im wondering about is how its shifting into 4th gear. the way i drive it, the truck likes to shift nice and smoothly at 2 grand and then right about 40 to 45 mph it will shift at 2 grand like normal but then it shifts similar to when you downshift with o/d off (like a slight jerking motion), except im accelerating, and then cruise again flawlessly at about 1500 rpm all the way up to speed and seems to run great after that.

any body know what im talking about/experienced the same thing? i checked the trans fluid and it looked to be both properly filled and rather clean.

any suggestions will help, ill keep browsing through the site in the mean time!

Broken springs in the shift accumulator piston. I would pull the pan and take a look. It's an easy task. My truck kinda does the same. I had a Lincoln town car that did it too. I pulled the piston, removed the broken 1/2 spring completely, completed a j/mod and reassembled without the 1/2 spring all together within 4 hours with not having ever been inside a 4r70w.

I can tell that I have a broken spring by the way the truck sounds on a 1/2 shift under light throttle, its hard to explain the sound but the feel is exactly as you described. I know yours is doing it in a different gear, but there are multiple pistons / springs for different gears.

You could also be feeling the torque converter locking / unlocking

Back