• Register Today It's free!

Hard shifting, solenoid pack?

lkreykes

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Hi, I have a 2005 Explorer with the 4.0 and 5R55S trans. Ever since I've owned it, it has always had a delay trying to shift into reverse, and when it would finally engage it would slam into reverse and rock the entire car. Then when driving normally, -and this happens sporadically- when upshifting from say 2nd to 3rd, it feels like it "dropped" a gear, or like it missed the next gear, so I give it gas and it slams back into the gear it was in to begin with. Also sometimes when the car is cold, it gets stuck trying to shift out of 2nd, and the rpm's go way up and sometimes the SES lights starts to blink and the car starts to stutter like its misfiring. But this doesn't happen every time I drive it, although it is often. What does happen every time I drive it however, is that when it does upshift like it should, it seems like the rpm's aren't changing at all, like if it's at 4k rpm in 3rd, then it drops a bit to shift to 4th, it pops right back up to 4k right away in 4th. I have been absolutely scouring the web for answers, and I have found that the most plausible problem could be a bad solenoid in the transmission, so I have considered replacing the solenoid pack and have been watching videos on how to do it. Doesn't seem too hard.... Before I do this however, has anyone had any similar symptoms? If so, what fixed it for you? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SES light flashing means a misfire. The trans issue does sound like solenoid pack. It is a known problem.

SES light flashing means a misfire. The trans issue does sound like solenoid pack. It is a known problem.

Thanks for the quick response. I replaced all 6 plugs this weekend with Motorcraft plugs anyways, so hopefully that will go away. But what is weird about when it did that is that the trans wouldn't let go of 2nd or whatever gear it was in, it just held onto it as the rpm's raised almost to redline, then it finally slammed into the next gear. Hmm...

The first place to start is to retrieve all trouble codes stored in the computer, the flashing light means there are codes, the codes could be misfires but until you get them its just a guessing game, a expensive one at that.

The reverse problem could be a few things that I know of, not so much the solenoid block, but valve body issues or internal failures. 4th and reverse share some of the same components inside, so if the failure is here you might have problem in both ranges.

The last time the ses blinked was over the summer, and it happened a few times, and the last time I had codes read was just a month or two ago, and the only things that came up were low thermo voltage or whatever it says to tell you to replace the thermostat (which I did), and a broken steering angle sensor.

I'm guessing the valve body probably isn't something I could do myself and probably will cost a lot for someone else to do it.... So I'm thinking, if this turns out to cost more than its worth... I found a rebuilt 5R55W off an 02 explorer on craigslist for $600, would this fit in my car with a 5R55S? Thanks

No I am sorry the W wont work in place of the S, they have different gear ratios and the computer will have problems with that.

No I am sorry the W wont work in place of the S, they have different gear ratios and the computer will have problems with that.

Ah okay, thanks. As far as the valve body, what kind of pricing would I be looking at to get that replaced? I'm going to start with the solenoid pack first, just because the car has almost 200,000 miles on it and I have no idea what the previous owner has done to it, just in case to see if that clears anything up.

Try a cheap fix like Lucas oil to hold you over until u get the $$$ for a fix

Aloha, I had the same problem develop at 50k miles. Added some Lucas tranny fluid and shift flare problem has never resurfaced (truck now at 126k miles). I've always had the intention of getting a "real" fix but if you're like me and have other expenses that take priority, this is the way to go. Trans repairs always cost big bucks, esp if you're gonna shop it.

It still not too clear to me how Lucas oil works. It's more than just a tranny fluid thickener. You might want to ask others here how it works as a temporary fix. //

Aloha, I had the same problem develop at 50k miles. Added some Lucas tranny fluid and shift flare problem has never resurfaced (truck now at 126k miles). I've always had the intention of getting a "real" fix but if you're like me and have other expenses that take priority, this is the way to go. Trans repairs always cost big bucks, esp if you're gonna shop it.

It still not too clear to me how Lucas oil works. It's more than just a tranny fluid thickener. You might want to ask others here how it works as a temporary fix. //

Thanks! I'll try this out this weekend. Should I replace the ATF at the same time too?

My 04's transmission has always had some similar issues that you described, the most notable being a delay into reverse and the occasional flare or hard shift. I tried replacing the solenoid with a remanufactured one, which was significantly worse, so I put the old one back in. I've always thought about going to ford for an OEM solenoid and replacing it, but I just live with it...mine has been that way for the 50k miles that I've put on the car.

My 04's transmission has always had some similar issues that you described, the most notable being a delay into reverse and the occasional flare or hard shift. I tried replacing the solenoid with a remanufactured one, which was significantly worse, so I put the old one back in. I've always thought about going to ford for an OEM solenoid and replacing it, but I just live with it...mine has been that way for the 50k miles that I've put on the car.

Hmm.... I have a few aftermarket solenoid packs I've been watching on Ebay, maybe ill hold out for one.... Ive had a few people tell me that it's the valve body.

You can NOT rebuild the solenoid packs. If they are found to be bad get a NEW one from ford not a place that claims to rebuild them and not from an aftermarket place.

The first place to start is to retrieve all trouble codes stored in the computer, the flashing light means there are codes, the codes could be misfires but until you get them its just a guessing game, a expensive one at that.

The reverse problem could be a few things that I know of, not so much the solenoid block, but valve body issues or internal failures. 4th and reverse share some of the same components inside, so if the failure is here you might have problem in both ranges.

JK080 - Can you enlighten us on two items?

1) why is it that the solenoid packs can't be rebuilt? Or if they can, why do "so many" people have problems with them.

2) these trans seem to have issues (maybe the same or more as others, don't know) is it worth having them overhauled in advance of problems?

Every post I've ever read about a remanufactured solenoid pack has been bad. I don't think I've ever read a post where someone said it made the problem go away. The vendor that burned me (http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159) burned a couple other people on here as well. Definitely go to ford for a new one.

The ones I found on eBay all say they are OEM MotorCraft brand new parts

Yea, or that, I just meant don't get a remanufactured unit.

JK080 - Can you enlighten us on two items?

1) why is it that the solenoid packs can't be rebuilt? Or if they can, why do "so many" people have problems with them.

2) these trans seem to have issues (maybe the same or more as others, don't know) is it worth having them overhauled in advance of problems?

The only rebuilt ones that I would use is the ones that Sonnax rebuilds, Transtar sells them. Yes I have had a problem with one or two but I have had problems with the new Ford ones as well. Others that rebuild them maybe cutting corners or not as thorough as Sonnax I just don't know. Connection problems I see a lot, like loose or corroded pins at the case connector is common.

I wouldn't overhaul the transmission before something breaks, nothing in the overhaul kit will fix what I see all the time. The biggest problems with these I see is the servo bores wearing, servos failing, bands breaking, bearing failure, and converter failure. Even after a rebuild its no guarantee that things won't break, nothing can prevent most of the main failures I see like the broken bands, these are the same bands they have been using since the first A4LD, they broke back then too.

Sleeving the case is one of the main preventive repair items to do to these, the new sleeves reduce wear and that will help save the servos, but to sleeve the case it has to be completely disassembled

It this way with just about all manufactures, they all have their weak spots.

Just sharing my experience in fixing this issue. I hope this would help other member with similar hard shift issue.

I have a 2004 rear wheel drive with 137k mile. My dad drive it mainly ( a gift for him). Shifting issue started around 100k mile of gentle driving. Progressively got worse as time goes by. Shift gets delay and engage harsh only when engine is warmed up. Reverse would occasionally gets delay and then slam. No warning light so far. No stuck or skip gear. So dad just give the broken explorer back to me.

I was debating between a junk yard tranny for 800 for parts alone or 450 for parts to replace solenoid and filter. I m not too confident junk yard tranny would be trouble free so I made a 450 buck gamble with replacing solenoid.

I watched video on how precise the solenoid pack has to be rebuilt. So I decided to trust only new genuine ford part. I would not want to save 100 on a reman unit. There is just too much labor involved to replace a solenoid pack. pan was drained and open. Oil was black and almost burnt smell. There a few tiny shiny metal spec. Magnet in oil pan had few black metal hair. After reading many tranny thread on here, I was concerned that my tranny is toasted. But I took a chance and installed filter and solenoid pack. My reasoning is: no slip, no warning light, no stuck gear, tranny shift thru all gear, occasionally slam in reverse. Note for solenoid pack, there is one torx30 screw that needs a slim torx bit to get to. I put things back together and filled 6qt of oil. Car shift smooth after. No issue so far.

Just to be sure there is no more metal pieces inside tranny oil, I open the pan again after 4days of smooth driving. No metal pieces seen. Oil is dark because 6 new qt are mixed with the remaining 6qt inside tranny and torq converter. So I drained out 6qt (an equal mix of old and new oil) and put in 6 new qt again. That mean volume wise there would be about 3 qt of the nasty old oil mixed with 9qt of new oil. I looked up on how to flush all tranny oil out. I decided it was too much effort.

So far the explorer is driving fine. I will see how long this fix will last. I will update if there are new tranny issue.
Cheers

Back