Alptbird

Reaction score
City, State
Tomball tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer limited
Callsign
Mav
I have been searching the forum, and if anyone may be able to point me the right way/good thread I would appreciate it. most of what I am finding is in the 3rd and 4th gen ex forums.

Issue: Harmonic noise coming what seems to be passenger front wheel.
conditions: noise appears starting from 45-50mph and goes to 60-65 before road noise drowns it out.
tested: 1. engine RPM vs speed various configurations noise still present
2. Sweeping left and right turns sweeping right turn noise present just not as loud, sweeping left noise
just as strong as always
3. rotating tires(brand new Michelins less 1000 miles)
4. observed tire wear. nothing special to note.
5. going 65mph down hill slip it into neutral, still got noise.

Assumed it was the passenger front wheel bearing.

Took to Ford multiple times service guy were good guys but the problem is still there.
Replaced: new half shaft first visit, new bearing second visit, rotated and re balanced tires and alignment three different visits. Bearing replacement in transmission passenger side output shaft.

Please keep in mind I am not the one throwing parts at the problem that still isn't fixed Ford is. I keep seeing the "Chassis ears" statement and getting noise gone. but I get the feeling no one is physically driving the EX to confirm it is gone. because the noise is still there. noises like this are deceptive and it may be coming from the driver side, the brakes though I see nothing there either, rear of the car. just would like to get some direction to fix the annoyance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you verified that the noise isn't coming from the cowl under the windshield? Many members have had that issue with noise developing at highway speeds. One way to check is to tape it down. On newer models some of it was a poor/improper fit on the passenger side.

Peter

Have you verified that the noise isn't coming from the cowl under the windshield? Many members have had that issue with noise developing at highway speeds. One way to check is to tape it down. On newer models some of it was a poor/improper fit on the passenger side.

Peter
Yes sir, that was actually fixed on the first visit along with one other windshield failure on the seals. That was more of a buzz than a harmonic sound.
The sound i have is like two of same audible notes but one is just a touch out of tune. So it has a slow whaa whaa whaa sound.

My wife had an issue very similar to this on a CRV and it turned out to be a sticky caliper. It only happened in a certain speed range, and it sounded like tweeting -- based on the speed of tire rotation.

I will check that this weekend. I need to replace the front brakes anyway. they have been squealing in the mornings on my first hard brake.

Brakes replaced noise still present. Had to replace my passenger rear rotor as a rock got into the mix and I have a grove in the rotor I wasn't expecting. So, from brake and rear brakes all four corner rotors... man the dual piston calipers on this EX will stop you fast... I think I left my teeth in the windshield!

Any other Ideas?

Can you describe more details/patterns -- is it based on tire rotation speeds or engine RPM... does it happen in neutral or only when in gear? Is it a constant sound or more of a chirping sound?

conditions: noise appears starting from 45-50mph and goes to 60-65 before road noise drowns it out.
tested: 1. engine RPM vs speed various configurations noise still present
2. Sweeping left and right turns sweeping right turn noise present just not as loud, sweeping left noise
just as strong as always
3. rotating tires(brand new Michelins less 1000 miles)
4. observed tire wear. nothing special to note.
5. going 65mph down hill slip it into neutral, still has noise.
Sound is harmonic, like two notes being played at the same time. Producing a whaa whaa sound. As the speed increases the whaa whaa sound increases in speed/frequency. Faster I go faster the whaa whaa. Everything to me sounds as if I am getting it from the front passenger side wheel, sounds like a bearing starting to go out. But it was just replaced along half shaft. Tires are new. Evenly worn. Note is a lower tone like a growl. Noise does not appear prior to 45 mph.

Same issue (plus a slight vibration) my cars at the dealership now, apparently they believe replacing the PTU will resolve the issue. Other mechanic says sound was originating from front shift differential.

I know this thread is a few years old now but did anyone ever find a fix for this noise? I am having this same problem. Thanks!

I know this thread is a few years old now but did anyone ever find a fix for this noise? I am having this same problem. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't think any of those who posted in this thread are around any longer. Also, this thread is in the 5th generation forum and you have a 6th gen Explorer. The 5th and 6th gens are different vehicles.
I suggest that you post your issue in the 6th gen Discussion forum. Stock 2020 - 2025 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator

Peter

Back