Has anyone converted their truck to run on propane? Here's a Video of my LP test. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone converted their truck to run on propane? Here's a Video of my LP test.

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
After getting frustrated with my HHO experiments :banghead: I did some research and found out that any combustion engine can be converted to run on propane.

I did a crude test to see if it would work on my 1994 Explorer. I used a mini propane bottle hooked up to the vacuum plenum and pulled the Fuel Pump relay after introducing the gas. The truck ran at idle for over 5 minutes before I got scared and turned it off. The mini propane cannister started to freeze.

The truck would run smoothly at idle but got bogged down when I tried to accelerate. I figure the throttle cable mod I did allowed too much air into the intake compared to the amount of LP gas that was available from the mini propane cannisters regulator valve.

Has anyone else tried this?

There are laws and regulations reguarding propane conversion so please keep this on the Down Low. I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night nor do I expect to sleep at one. So I am no expert. :fire:

Heres a short video.

Please do not try this at home! ;) Danger! Danger! Will Robinson.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've experimented with propane a couple of years ago, but I didn't have good results. The computer didn't work properly with it. It was back firing, and would only idle very roughly. It stalled as soon as I tried to rev. It would start on gasoline, but would not start on propane. I had to use gasoline first, then shut the fuel pump off, and turn on the propane flow before it stalled.

Not on a car but in 10th grade in shop class i made a riding lawn mower run on LP. Had to start it with a shot of starter fluid but ran for 10 mints at a time while cutting.

my dad's old astro van ran on propane, and the first engine got about 1,020,000 km's. propane is a cleaner burning fuel. it was converted from tbi to propane. basically the propane runs from the storage tanks (about 70L, 2x35L) to a thing that runs the engine's hot water through it. this keeps it from freezing up, like your tank did. then its pretty much a gravity feed down to the engine, but i imagine with it right on where the throttle body used to be that it did suck it down while starting it up. if the 2 in hose from the hot water to the engine was bent, it wouldn't run.

FROADER thanks for properly inserting the you tube link! I now see the proper text needed to properly insert the link. :)

My next experiment may be to remove the Throttle cable mod.

What effect does the throttle cable mod actually have on the amount of gas applied to the truck? It seems that all it does is remove the play (and open the TB butterfly valve sooner) Am I correct?

I need a link to a pressure regulator that will allow me to vary the LP gas supplied to the engine. The stock lp gas regulator releases too little gas to run the truck above idle. I have considered installing a 2nd butterfly valve in the Intake to restrict airflow when operating under propane. Could this work?

Also running the heater hoses around the regulator seems to be the correct approach to keeping the regulator from freezing.

Is there a low cost retro kit available on the Internet that combines a variable pressure regulator with the heating hoses and an interface for a connection to the existing throttle cable? I remebering seeing a website with instuctions for a DIY conversion kit for about $120 in parts. I will try to find the link.

Thanks to all the know-it-alls in advance! :salute:

In Philipinnes and in Mexico most taxis run on LPG, you can also take you car to an LPG shop and have it converted, my friend has done this to his suburban and can use it for a whole week for ~10USD that's roughly 300 miles for him, he puts 5USD in gasoline just to start the truck and another 5 for LPG, the conversion was ~600 USD tho, still I think it pays for itself

In Philipinnes and in Mexico most taxis run on LPG, you can also take you car to an LPG shop and have it converted, my friend has done this to his suburban and can use it for a whole week for ~10USD that's roughly 300 miles for him, he puts 5USD in gasoline just to start the truck and another 5 for LPG, the conversion was ~600 USD tho, still I think it pays for itself

At $4 / gal for gas, it would pay for itself in 6 weeks. :thumbsup: :)

I would love to find a propane conversion shop in Atlanta, GA.

If propane is indeed cheaper to burn than gas, then I think alot of people will be looking for one.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming. :salute:

I would love to find a propane conversion shop in Atlanta, GA.

If propane is indeed cheaper to burn than gas, then I think alot of people will be looking for one.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming. :salute:
the price
I live in the Dominican Republic...almost all Explorers have propane conversions...as a matter of fact I had a 99 XLT with an LPG conversion...1/4 the price of gas but you loss approx. 15% mpg...but who cares? I filled the truck with $20 and gave me 300 miles!!!

Now I have an '03 XLT which I bought two months ago and it is such a gas guzzler that I decided to make an LPG conversion this weekend on a local shop...
If you guys want, I can take a couple of pics to share with you...It is gonna cost me like $600, but you get revenue in just a couple of months...!!!:eek:

Back