Has anyone had this noise with their Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had this noise with their Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cash,

Hope you have indeed resolved your problem. But if not ....

I have a 97 Explorer, and have had very similar situation. I could sort of feel the pop in the floorboard, and hear it also. It got worse and worse, until it actually made noise just going over bumps at low speed, without hard steering turns. My problem was the steering rack and pinion. After replacement of the unit, the problem was resolved for about 75k miles. Unfortunately, I think mine is starting to pop again. And I clearly recall using a rack and pinion system that was extremely inexpensive, at around $100.00. Maybe should have used a higher quality part.

Just an idea, in the event you have not resolved this.

Good luck.

Ok. This should be the last update. Turns out it wasn't the transmission crossmember. I made one more adjustment and it's fixed! I drove it all over and no more popping. The problem was the tubular brace than runs under the bellhousing shown below. There were no rub marks or noticeable looseness. I loosened the four bolts and retorqued.

3D446961-74D2-4D31-AD19-DB5C2893BA0C_zpsy9qs1fhi.jpg

Many thanks to Cashcrazy for solving this problem.
It fixed my issue also...

had the pop show up. Mostly notice when leaving a parking spot. Want to try this fix. What are the specs to torque the tubular mount?

2003 Explorer and just crossed the 50k mark. Has anyone encountered the same symptoms and isolated the issue? The clicking or popping noise occurs when the wheel is turned to the right and will only make the noise once or twice at a time. The wheels can be straightened and then turned again to replicate the noise. Noise is only noticed at low speeds. The video should help. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I cant get the video to embed. Link below.

Mine does the same thing!
Havent figured it out yet! I also have a 2003 2wd exploder!
Just a noticeable ticking noise when turning! May just be a noise the steering makes!

Mine does the same thing!
Havent figured it out yet! I also have a 2003 2wd exploder!
Just a noticeable ticking noise when turning! May just be a noise the steering makes!

Ticking noises (especially when turning) are often associated with wheel hubs or CV joints, I do not believe 2WD Exs have front CV so probably front hub bearing.

Ticking noises (especially when turning) are often associated with wheel hubs or CV joints, I do not believe 2WD Exs have front CV so probably front hub bearing.

Just replaced passenger front bearing! Drivers side still looks great! Ticking sounds like passenger side front.
Gonna replace the drivers side anyway though!

Back