Have items been fixed on MY 2012? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have items been fixed on MY 2012?

JStellato - thank you for the feedback, and keep us informed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my experience with the list (currently have 1700 miles on vehicle):

A) Transmission - none to report

B) Rain Noise - has not rained while driving yet - yes, I do have the rain noise

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal, steering wheel - I have this in my 2012 I have this in the floor and steering wheel. Ford claims it's "characteristic of the vehicle":mad:

D) Overheating Probably - none to report

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - I have noticed this in my 2012 occasionally

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) - have noticed the whistling and rattle a few times on highway

G) Windshield Wind Noise - may have noticed this but can not say for sure - have noticed this

H) Power Steering Issue Random? - none to report

I) Brake Squeal Random? - none to report

J) Popping noises when turning Random? - none to report

K) Glove box rattle Random? - none to report - yes, and just about everything else (refer to item C)

L) Heat setting off 4 way flashers - none to report

M) Streaky windows - This happens on mine when the vehicle is wet

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish - my liftgate is fine but I had an issue with seam in front pass fender and door alignment - my liftgate actually sits a little low. Seem below window does not line up.

O) Torque Steer Fixed - Noticed this yesterday on hard acceleration to pass on highway

P) Antenna (Satellite Nav Issues & AM/FM Reception) - none to report

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" Noise - have not noticed (I have the moonroof) but do not use phone in vehicle often

R) Inability to turn off rear hatch light, when hatch is open - haven't tested

S) Keyfob Issues - the only issue with this is that I wish it had a higher range

Here is my experience with the list (currently have 1700 miles on vehicle):

B) Rain Noise - has not rained while driving yet

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal, steering wheel - I have this in my 2012

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - I have noticed this in my 2012 occasionally

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) - have noticed the whistling and rattle a few times on highway

G) Windshield Wind Noise - may have noticed this but can not say for sure

K) Glove box rattle Random? - none to report

M) Streaky windows - This happens on mine when the vehicle is wet

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish - my liftgate is fine but I had an issue with seam in front pass fender and door alignment

O) Torque Steer Fixed - Noticed this yesterday on hard acceleration to pass on highway

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" Noise - have not noticed (I have the moonroof) but do not use phone in vehicle often

S) Keyfob Issues - the only issue with this is that I wish it had a higher range

With respect to the window streaking, I find that what works best is a dry rag to clean them. Don't use fluid or anything, just a dry, clean, soft rag takes almost no time to clean 'em.

Dealer cleaned my window track and it solved the problem.

Here is my experience with the list (currently have 1700 miles on vehicle):...
houtzb,

I checked in on your case notes and saw you’re going to set up an appointment with the dealer soon. Please don’t hesitate to drop me a line if you’d like any additional help. :)

Cory

2012 Explorer issues

A) Transmission Problems - None

B) Rain Noise - None noted

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal - None

D) Overheating - Has not happened but has not been hot out yet.

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - Have not noticed any other than the new car "oil" smell

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) Happening constantly at anything near highway speeds

G) Windshield Wind Noise - None

H) Power Steering Issue Random? - None

I) Brake Squeal Random? - None

J) Popping noises when turning Random? - None

K) Glove box rattle Random? - None

L) Heat setting off 4 way flashers - Didn't experience

M) Streaky windows - Didn't experience

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish No 2012 reports - Looks fine to me

O) Torque Steer Fixed - None

P) Antenna (Satellite Nav Issues & AM/FM Reception) - Live in a metro area have not experienced any issues in town or on trips in rural areas

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" - Very bad but only at speeds over 50 mph. Do not have a sunroof

R) Inability to turn off rear hatch light, when hatch is open - Didn't experience

S) Keyfob Issues - None although the plastic does feel thin over the buttons and I fear how long it will be before they crack

I am also having a terrible time with MFT as well, screen blanking out and not responding to voice commands mostly.

Build Date Nov 11, 2012 - To date I've noticed none of the issues noted above. Voice responds nicely, MFT hasn't acted up, and haven't noticed wind noise or bluetooth phone noise yet.

So far so good.

Build date 11/28/11. Only 2 issues from above is the burnt oil smell at hard acceleration, and crappy clarity of hands free microphone while at highway speeds. My wife complains there is too much background noise to hear me when I'm on the highway :/ And I don't have a moon-roof.

Build Date Nov 11, 2012 - To date I've noticed none of the issues noted above. Voice responds nicely, MFT hasn't acted up, and haven't noticed wind noise or bluetooth phone noise yet.

So far so good.

Agree!
I must be lucky because I have not experienced any of the above issues. I do have some mild torque steer. I had a STS Cadillac that had some torque steer, but got used to it after time. My last SUV was rear wheel drive so going to the Explorer, it is more noticeable. Not an issue for me. Maybe a common issue with front wheel drive. I'm eagerly awaiting MFT issues so I don't feel left out of the club. My build date- 10/11

Overall, I'm a happy camper. For me, the thing that bothers me the most is the hideous larger than life Ford emblem on the front grill. I already know it's a Ford, and so does anyone else seeing my Explorer with Google Earth. I'm thinking of getting some sort of tint to partially mask its constant reminder of who made this thing.

I have gotten so much good info on this site so here is my two cents on the experiences with the list (currently have 2500 miles on vehicle, 2012 Limited with 301a):

B) Rain Noise - I have not driven in rain but wife has not complained about it

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal, steering wheel - Maybe a slight vibrate in pedal but doesn't seem to be bad or last long if it even exists. I think this forum puts stuff in my head but it is a great forum...really haven't had an issue with this. Nothing in steering wheel

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - Not noticed, maybe haven't really driven hard enough

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) - Have tried to reporduce and can't. Went 70 on freeway for several miles several different occasions.

G) Windshield Wind Noise - not noticed

K) Glove box rattle Random? - none to report

M) Streaky windows - not greasy streaks...just normal water streaks after a rain if lowered and raised...

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish - perfect alignment

O) Torque Steer Fixed - not noticed

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" Noise - have noticed this several times with calls from wife on way home. Very annoying. Hopefully upgrade reduces this.

S) Keyfob Issues - quality seems fine to me, only time will tell

thanks for all the posts and feedback in this forum...Only a couple MFT issues and reboots. If that gets fixed consider us very pleased...only 2,500 miles so have many more to go...

I had my 2012 limited for two weeks now. one thing I noticed is a ticking ( like a sound of electronic thermostat) coming from/around the steering wheel. it is not an issue but I just wonder if someone else noticed it. other thing i noticed is once I start the car and within the ifrst 10 seconds of driving I hear a hum ( for 2 second) its like coming form steering shaf/component. it happens only once after every start. any ideas?

Maybe electric fuel pump, when it pressurized the system?

My 2012 ford explorer base has the greasy window problem on the outside of the glass on all windows. None of the other problems though. I don't have SYNC. Base ford explorer 2012

Just purchased a 2012 in October and had to have the radio/SYNC system reprogrammed the radio did not want to turn off. Dealer advised that their will be a new program available in January 2012.

Very minor issues with tech MFT. Small fit and finish issues with interior parts.

So here's my write-up/response.

Just as background info, we have a 2012 XLT, V6, 205A package with BLISS, NAV system, and tow package. We have just over 1900 miles and drive a mix between freeway and surface streets. We took ownership around the 9/20/11 time frame.

This is my wife's vehicle so there may be other items I'm missing.

A) Transmission Problems - None to report

B) Rain Noise - Definitely a "tinny/hollow" sound when tapping on the space between the windshield and roof. Not horrendous, but also have not driven in "extreme" rain either.

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal, steering wheel Possibly fixed - None to report

D) Overheating Probably None to report

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - None to report

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) - Noticed it the first day on the drive home. Was driving around 75 mpg on the freeway. The noise is more prominent now than the first day and I consistently notice it at around 70+ mph.

G) Windshield Wind Noise Fixed - See "F"

H) Power Steering Issue Random? - None to report

I) Brake Squeal Random? - None to report

J) Popping noises when turning Random? - None to report

K) Glove box rattle Random? - None to report

L) Heat setting off 4 way flashers - None to report

M) Streaky windows - Not necessarily "streaky," but I recently washed the X and rolled the windows down about 3 hours later. Upon rolling the windows back up, noticed water streaking. My guess is residual water from the wash and since the X was parked in the garage, I couldn't remove the water that was between the door panel.

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish A 2012 report - Minor mismatch, but nothing to write home about either.

O) Torque Steer Fixed - None to report

P) Antenna (Satellite Nav Issues & AM/FM Reception) Seems ok in 2012

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" Noise - Still present. Although not noticeable at first, I can tell when my wife is driving on the freeway as the background is somewhat loud on my end.

R) Inability to turn off rear hatch light, when hatch is open - None to report/Not an issue

S) Keyfob Issues - N/A - not a remote start vehicle

Some additional issues:
T) Glove box-passenger door trim misalignment - Small mismatch/mis-fair between the passenger side door trim and glove box. The difference in height has been documented by other forum members here (~.125).

U) Occasional Nav issues - on two separate occasions, the nav system will not be able to read the SD card. I have remedied this by ejecting the nav SD card and re-inserting. In both instances, the nav system loaded correctly.

V) MFT "black screen of death" - This has been documented by others in the MFT section of the forum. Thanks to this forum, I was not as alarmed after personally seeing this occur.

Some other notes/thoughts...
All my "concerns" have been sent to Cory in a PM; and also the customer service manager at my dealer. I was thoroughly amazed of the response I received from the Ford team! I have not taken my X into the dealer to address the additional items yet. My plan was to wait until the first oil change to bring these issues to light and have fixed.

This is my first "American" vehicle as I have only driven Toyotas my entire life (98 Tacoma and 98 Camry). I will say that our decision in vehicles came down between the Highlander and Explorer. What ultimately "won" us over was the interior space of the Explorer versus the Highlander (putting a car seat in the back of the Highlander made the vehicle just seem a little small). Also, the third row seat in the Highlander did not offer as much interior room/storage when in use as the Explorer.

Road-wise, both my wife and are impressed with the ride of the Explorer - it flat out drives like a car. Acceleration is responsive and there's enough power to climb decent mountain grades without losing a lot of speed. We average about 20 mpg mixed, 23 mpg freeway, and 19 mpg city.

I haven't done any of the LED lighting swaps, nor am I sure I ever will. The one "mod" I can see doing is adding a couple of LED bars, or close cathod lights in the rear storage area. I've thought about HID conversions, but the better part of me says, "If it's not broken, why try and fix it." I have run an RJ44 cord (telephone cord) from the center console up the A-pillar to power my radar detector. Thought about doing the blendmount/mirror tap, but again, the normal power cord works just fine.

Hope this post helps current and potential Explorer owners.

Just purchased a 2012 in October and had to have the radio/SYNC system reprogrammed the radio did not want to turn off. Dealer advised that their will be a new program available in January 2012.
Welcome to the Forum CC192. :wavey:
I assume the program the dealer was talking about is the re-write of the current MFT. This according to sources will be release in Q1 which means it will likely be released late February or sometime in March. It is being tested by selected Ford employees in their vehicles at the moment.

Peter

Yes welcome CC192 and Rocketnerd, I have only experienced a few of these issues, and a few not listed, but in previous other threads. Most recent glove box rattle, happy to report. It's fixed, it so appears that the glove box needed realigned, and new rubber bumpers installed, after two visits we found that the rubber bumpers have various production tolerances, we found some larger and firmer ones ( ok no pun intended) and that cured the issue.
Still working on 3rd power fold seat issue.

Back