Have you ever heard of this?

91Navsplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
I've got two quick questions.
Recently, I told you guys that my 91 Nav's fuel and temperature gauges do not work, causing me to constantly worry about running out of gas. since I bought the truck, that's only happened twice, the second day after I bought it, and today. I was on my way the school and the sucker put-putted and died. I walked to the nearest gas station, filled up a container with two gallons, and put it in the truck. Then a miracle happened, I filled up the tank and the gauge works. im not sure if this is accredited to changing all the fuses three days earlier or what. do you guys have any insight?
And my second question is, I have never been under a hood or anything, should I try my hand at doing a major tune-up for the Nav, I asked shops and their labor prices were outrageous. Or does anyone in the DMV area know of a good place?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess that the float in your tank was stuck.

I recommend 200% to do your own work on your car, there are very few honest shops these days and most will try to take you for a ride. This forum has a ridiculously huge amount of information on pretty much any repair or modification you could want and there's enough people here to answer any questions quickly that haven't been asked before. These trucks are very easy to work on and the personal feeling of accomplishment when you fix stuff is great. There are lots of free mods like taking the slack out of your throttle cable ("50hp for 5 cents mod"), dremel porting of parts, etc that will really wake up your car without requiring a trip to the ATM. Take a little while to learn how to search the site, take some things on the car apart, and have fun :p:

thanks you guys. I've already found a slew of mods and fixes that I'll try my hand at. That's a great idea arco, I'll definitely try that one immediately. I wouldn't have thought that one just yet.

I've got two quick questions.
Recently, I told you guys that my 91 Nav's fuel and temperature gauges do not work, causing me to constantly worry about running out of gas. since I bought the truck, that's only happened twice, the second day after I bought it, and today. I was on my way the school and the sucker put-putted and died. I walked to the nearest gas station, filled up a container with two gallons, and put it in the truck. Then a miracle happened, I filled up the tank and the gauge works. im not sure if this is accredited to changing all the fuses three days earlier or what. do you guys have any insight?
And my second question is, I have never been under a hood or anything, should I try my hand at doing a major tune-up for the Nav, I asked shops and their labor prices were outrageous. Or does anyone in the DMV area know of a good place?
My cars have never seen a Mechanic. So I recommend doing it yourself. I would think you should work along side someone who has done a tuneup so he can talk you through what you are doing and why you are doing . For instance, replace one wire at a time on te ignition so as to not cross them.

Don't tighten teh hell out of Spark plugs...etc.

Thats great if your gauge continues to work. If it doesnt...
Its a common problem. My old 90 Ranger did the same thing. It would stay quacked out at the full mark and beyond. That is an in-tank sender unit. (the float) They go bad alot. When mine went I called Napa. They wanted 100 bucks for that part. Then you have take the gas tank down and out to get to it. Not a fun job. But definatly cheaper if you do it yourself.

Back