1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Head gasket leaking. Ford quoted $1000.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Fantasymon, July 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Fantasymon

Fantasymon Active Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLS
    I recently took my 2000 Explorer into a local repair shop that specializes in Ford products. They diagnosed my car and determined that my head gaskets are leaking on both sides. They quoted me $1300-$1500.

I called my local Ford dealership here in Tulsa and they quoted me about $975 to have it fixed.

I personally have no skills to do this myself, nor do I have the time. From what I have searched, $975 seems like a relatively fair price, especially from a dealership.

Does this seem like a good price and is there anything i need to be weary of such as making sure they machine the heads?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    I wouldn't think so if you go the dealer route. They have too much at stake as far as reputation goes. Which dealer in Tulsa?

4. ragajungle

ragajungle Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
    $1000 from a dealer? wow thats cheap! I am skeptical... probably $1000 for just the parts...

5. Fantasymon

Fantasymon Active Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, OK
    2000 XLS
    Bob Hurley Ford in Tulsa.....Same place I bought the Explorer new 11 years ago.

Nope he said $975 for parts and labor. I too am a bit skeptical as it was a quote over the phone.

6. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    I've dealt with Bob Hurley Ford when I worked for Tulsa Schools - they're straight shooters.

7. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    The big question is are they thinking its the gaskets or the heads? It is extremely rare to lose head gaskets and not the heads on the ohv motor. I cant comment on the sohc version though.
    Also, last time I looked book time on replacing the heads on the 4.0 ohv motor was 11 hours and I would expext the sohc to be higher.

~Mark

8. scdix50

scdix50 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    New Castle, Delaware
    2008 XLT
    I did mine 2 yrs ago, I pulled both heads, had them reconditioned. When I got it back together again, I had $ 1,023.24 in parts and materials. If you do just one head now you will be doing the other some time down the road. I now had have 165,000 on my 00XLT.