Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Ronjm, September 14, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ronjm

Ronjm New Member

City, State:
      Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Ford Explorer XLT 1996
      Hi can anyone give me the run down on replacing the head gaskets on my 97 4.0L V6 SOHC

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      Wow. That's a huge question. I suggest you pick up a shop manual and read the procedure. Replacing a head gasket on a SOHC 4.0L is an big, big job and the head may very likely be warped, requiring machining or replacement. If you're doing the passenger side head you may be looking at needing to pull the engine out of the vehicle (not 100% sure about this) due to the location of the passenger side timing chain components.

IMO this much work and money is not worth it on a 21 year old vehicle/engine.

4. 08EddieCA

08EddieCA Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      2008 X Eddie B. 4.0L AWD
      Yes, you have to remove the engine or slide it forward enough to get to the rear bolt for the passenger side cassette. It's easier to remove the motor than to slide it forward, based on my experience. I replaced both head gaskets and both heads in July. It was so much work.

• Like Like x 1