Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Head rests uncomfortable for driver

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by cso, July 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cso

cso New Member

Hi, I am still wanting to buy a Ford Explorer. Last week we rented a 2011 to take on a vacation. I really liked everything about it except for the front seat headrests. I adjusted them, but I still found them to be bothersome. Sometimes I wanted to put my head back more and it was very annoying how it wouldn't let me. I am average in weight and height. Does anyone else find this to be a problem?

I assume it must be a safety design. Also, when I was in the passenger seat and wanted to put my head back a little to rest I couldn't, and forget putting a pillow behind my head. When we went to the auto show a few of the cars also had annoying head rests. I think the Honda Pilot was like that.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '11 Limited AWD
      Did you adjust them fore/aft or just up/down? The fore/aft mechanism has a ratchet system that requires the user to bring the headrest all the way forward before it will reset to the aft-most position.

The lumbar support, on the other hand, seems to have no vertical adjustment so it just pushes into my hips. Annoying.

4. cso

cso New Member

Yes, we tried that but could not get it to adjust enough. Maybe we were doing something wrong. When you do that can you get it to adjust pretty far back, so it is not an issue? I wish I still had it, but we returned it. When I eventullly get to the dealer to look for one I will make sure I check that out. Thanks for your reply!

5. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2011 XLT
      That's weird because I thought the Explorer's headrests were some of the most comfortable I've ever seen. Certainly so after test driving and Edge which was really bad (no adjustment, all the way forward).

6. HazardousRanger

HazardousRanger New Member

City, State:
      Woodland,CA
      04 Edge Ranger
      people actually use headrests? hmm... i know i dont when im driving