Header Panel Removal - How to? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Header Panel Removal - How to?

I'm replacing a crash sensor on my '96 and have been told that it'll be easiest to remove the header panel. How much is involved? Is the header also called (according to Haynes) the "Grille Reinforcement Panel"? Although there are no specific instructions in the manual, using the fender removal on pg. 11-17 there is a bolt on the center hood latch support, a bolt in the area behind each corner light, a nut on each side from beneath, and 2 bolts on each side of the radiator (just behind the inner headlight adjuster). Is this it? Can the header be removed with the headlights still installed? I've never had any luck with removing the headlights w/o breaking the mounting/adjuster hardware.

I should now have access to the header, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah leave the head lights in. ( don't forget to unplug them though )
Remove the corner lights.
Remove the grille, on some Ex's there is a duct or a shroud behind the grille removve that too. There will be a small hand full of 8mm bolts. If memory serves me two on the left, two on the right going into the fender.
then four more in the center opening going into a bracket.
There is a tricky part. The bottom of the fender where the bottom of the header panel meet is an 11mm nut that you get to through the fender.
It is a PITA to get to :(
What I do is turn the wheel out of the way, remove the two large 8mm bolts on the bottom of the fender liner, and the phillips screw on the side of the fender liner.
Get my longest extension with a swivel and a deep 11mm socket and fish that sucker up in there.
Some times you can get an eyeball in there, some times it is all sense of feel.
It is tricky but very possible.
Lemmie know how it goes.

Monmix:Do you know how to replace the radiator support in a 1999 explorer?Do I have to weld it?
Thank you very much.

Yes the core support is welded in.

jsaid said:
Monmix:Do you know how to replace the radiator support in a 1999 explorer?Do I have to weld it?
Thank you very much.

yeah the core support is welded in.

I did a write up for some one a long time ago on how to do it.

It is some where around here.

Do a search. Unfortuantely I can not ever recall the name of the thread or who started it.

I do know he hates Isuzus :)

I planing on driving a 1999 explorer back to my home. It was involved in a accident, the airbags are ok, the suspension is ok , there is a litle damage in the headlamp area.
My question is : Are there any risk to deploy airbags during driving?

If worried, pull the fuse or fuses, or unplug the air bag controller in the right kick panel. If any error is sensed, it disables the system, so you just need to create an error. Good luck,
Don

jsaid said:
I planing on driving a 1999 explorer back to my home. It was involved in a accident, the airbags are ok, the suspension is ok , there is a litle damage in the headlamp area.
My question is : Are there any risk to deploy airbags during driving?

you will be fine.

Actually though, air bag systems are not disabled when there is a code, quite the contrary. A system in fault is more likely to deploy.

As long as you dont have a code ( air bag light ) it is business as usual.

Really, I will ask my local shop foreman about that. I agree that unless there is something damaged in the system, he should be fine. If I suspected that any parts of the air bag system were damaged, I'd pull a fuse or main connector to disable that system. Good luck,
Don

a removed fuse will not prevent a deployment.

Back