1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Headlamp question

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Goodfella, December 8, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Goodfella

Goodfella New Member

City, State:
      Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Explorer Limited
      i have a 96 Explorer Limited with message center. The drivers side headlights dont work. The highbeams and day time running lights work however., and the bulb is new and tested. My mechanic said its my Lamp outage module.... instead of getting a new module he bypassed it., the headlight worked for a bit then quit. I thought it could be the socket so i replaced that and no change.

Please help!

Goodfella

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dmr1203

dmr1203 Member

City, State:
      Atlanta
      1996 eddie bauer
      I have a 96 EB that is doing the same thing on the passenger side. High beams work, but no low beams. There is a thick cable with the ground, low and high wire that the bulb fits into.

Is it possible to replace the cable? Anyone?

4. Heavymentill

Heavymentill Active Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      96 Explorer Limited
      Its an easy fix for anyone who knows how to soldier. Just remove the LOM (lamp out module) located under the center console underneath the message center on the passenger side. After its out open the module and remove the circuit board then check the soldier connections at the point where the harness-plug attaches to the board. You should be able to see a slightly burned conection, resoldier it. In my case I soldiered every conection for preventitve maintenance.

5. dmr1203

dmr1203 Member

City, State:
      Atlanta
      1996 eddie bauer
      Thanks alot man, I will try that.

6. 97ExplorerBauer

97ExplorerBauer New Member

City, State:
      Fairfax, VA
      97 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Soldering the LOM - it works!

I can't believe I fixed this darn thing myself! Thanks to 96Limited for your description on how to fix the LOM. The only reason I got this far is because when I called the Ford service dept to bring my car in, they were so busy that that I got an answering machine. 2nd, when I called the parts dept just to ask how much a new LOM would cost, they were closed for the evening! So, while searching on the web for a place to buy the LOM, I found this forum. I was able to take the LOM out, then remove the circuit board, and I actually figured out which soldering connection was bad - and I'm no electronics guy or mechanic for that matter!

I didnt even have any solder available, but I have a soldering iron. So I just melted down whatever little lead was there just to make a connection and sure enough it worked! Now all I gotta do is go out & buy some soldering lead so I can do a better job of it.

Wow, for a guy like me who doesnt really work on cars other than replacing light bulbs and air filters, what a sense of pride to fix this! Power to the consumer! :confused:

7. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
    8. tnstringbean

tnstringbean New Member

City, State:
      Pulaski,TN
      97 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD
      i bought a new LOM from ford dealer and a new one was $75. next time ill fix it. i couldve almost bought my body lift with that $$ but it fixed it so im happy