Headlight Amber Lens Tint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Amber Lens Tint

cvillanu

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Ltd 4WD
In the process of experimenting with the headlight. Tired of looking at the amber lens and really like the look of the headlights on the Galpin Ford Explorer so I decided to modify the lens myself since I can't find any aftermarket headlights. If sucessful, I will attempt to post the process. I purchased a "test mule" headlight to trial run the deconstuct procedure and test out the quality of the VHT Lens Tint spray. Here is a pic so far. Let me know what your thought are on this.

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

Toughest part so far has been to remove the OEM silicon around the lens. I will probably have to rebake all pieces again just to clean up/remove the remaining pieces around the housing edge/groove and lens to properly reattach both pieces together. Will be using Butyl Sealant Tape to make a water tight seal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Argh. Beat me to it.... Looks great. since you have the lens apart...can you do me a huge favor and measure the projector lens. Is it 2.5" or 3".

Definitely 3". I'm gonna guess your inserting Halos, right?

is that tint permanent? could it be removed later? whats it look like with the blinker in action?

looks good.

I would definitely make them permanent after reinstalling everything. But the one pictured is a trial run. I purchased a used headlight and tested the tint spray. Sprayed it without doing proper prep work on the amber lens. I actually should sand and clean the lens before spraying. Also need to apply clear coat & wipe with wax coat to shine up the tinted surface.

I think it looks sick, in a good way. I too would be interested in seeing what the tinted blinker looks like in action. *applying additional peer pressure in hope of an example video*

Definitely 3". I'm gonna guess your inserting Halos, right?

Maybe...i have another project in mind.... If you still have the lens out of the housing... Can you tell me if its 22mm or 27mm in focus height....lay it on a flat surface and measure the height....i would GREATLY appreciate it.

That looks great!! If you havent put it back together, can you see if theres a way to move the lens forward? Most Projector lights project light to the very edge of the lens... unfortunately on the explorer, its pushed in too deep in the housing that it prvents the projector from projecting light to the far right and left sides when driving.

I'd love to take apart my headlights and swap in a new set of HID projectors, as the OEM ones suck.

Too bad I don't have the time or the money to get involved in it.

It looks awesome...I want to do it to mine!!! can you put more photos and how you did it!!!

looks great, lets see them installed

Maybe...i have another project in mind.... If you still have the lens out of the housing... Can you tell me if its 22mm or 27mm in focus height....lay it on a flat surface and measure the height....i would GREATLY appreciate it.

Love to help. Do u mean center of projector lens with flat area just below it?

This does look great, especially on Tuxedo black! I just tinted the amber part of my headlights as well as my tailights and I love it. I won't hijack this thread but I made another thread of my own and will have pics up tonight.

Thanks for the idea cvillanu!

Complete! From this (actually the easiest part):

IMG_1527resize.jpg

To this:

IMG_1558resize.jpg

IMG_1551resize.jpg

IMG_1554resize.jpg

Was very labor intensive. Toughest part was baking several times to soften the seal around the edges of the headlight unit, prying open then cleaning the channel of the remaining OEM sealant. But overall happy with the result.

BTW RichV, love your ride! Might have to copy your idea of tinting the rear tail lights. Looks great!

Your explorer looks awesome with the headlights an rims.

Looks sweet.....

Wow- looks great! Nice work... :thumbsup:

Agree, your Ex looks sick with lights, wheels and caliper covers. Nice work!

Did you use the self stick flexible "angel eyes" led strip that you cut to length? And did you install them on the interior of the lens or outside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back