• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Headache

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
Hello all, I apologize for creating a new thread but I figured this would be the best way to get some answers for my problem alittle more promptly. I have a 98' Explorer 4dr XLT 4.0L SOHC as my daily driver and quite sometime ago I had pulled the fuse for the daytime running lights because they were staying on and this took out my fog lights aswell, do I need a new DRL module? If so where is this located?
Question number 2 has to do with my highbeams currently seeming to "draw" too much power and I am afraid to use them now as they have already blown 1 fuse which was located in the side/dash mounted fuse panel right at the bottom of the panel.
I was also having an odd problem that involved the brake light(in dash) to illuminate in place of the highbeam indicator light(in dash) or the high beam indicator light would flicker or be really faint. on top of this the backlight for the actual headlight selector switch works only when it wants to. is the selector switch light and the dash lights anomaly connected ? This sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere but I don't know where to start( relays? 20amp fuse block ? )
I crave answers and any help would be greatly appreciated this is my first thread after reading your forums for years. This is a great resource. lastly what is the multifunction switch? The signal indicator or the headlight/parking light switch ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it too confusing the way I worded things or does nobody have a clue as to what the problem could be ?

multi function is the turn and such stalk beside the wheel,

Has this EX had an aftermarket entry/alarm system installed in it ?

I too have a Hi-Beam and TS issue
There is a TSB on the Multi-function switch

When I put the TS to RH, I get a buzzing behind the dash

So far the entry.alarm system is screwing things up,but it's way too cold to do anything about it right now.

Look up the TSBs on it

I had pulled the fuse for the daytime running lights because they were staying on and this took out my fog lights aswell, ...my highbeams currently seeming to "draw" too much power ...they have already blown 1 fuse

The daytime running lights work by running low level voltage through the high beams I believe. If your DRL is defective you can have all kinds of other headlight issues. Fix that first and see if it stops blowing fuses. If not then you have a short circuit to track down.

Thankyou for your replies gentlemen. My explorer only has the factory alarm installed which still functions well. Can the DRL module still cause my highbeam issues even if the fuse is pulled therefore disabling the unit ? And where about is the DRL module located on the vehicle? I have been told 2 locations, #1 - along the inside of the front fender near the battery or #2 down, behind the radiator?

A quick way to find out is to pull the DRL module. It takes 5 seconds to remove. I threw mine away a long time ago. Idiots at ford decided to put it in the most wet spot possible. It is on the drivers side, around the bumper and below the lights. Its a black box about the size of a fist with some wires coming out.

Lots of lighting issues!!

Hi everyone,

I have had a couple of lighting issues and now I am wondering if they are all somehow related. I have a 99 explorer sport with no alarm or any type of modification. First problem was driving lights came on by themselves overnight and drained battery. Husband pulled fuse to fix that problem. Next problem was turned on high beams which caused no lights at all. Hubby changed fuse but when I was out at night again and turned on highbeams again blew fuse and no lights unless on just regular head lights. Last problem is no reverse lights changed fuse but keep blowing them. Could these problem be related? I don't know much about vehicles but must problems I have had, I have been able to find the solution here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have since swapped vehicles, however I have not fixed my highbeam issue on the '98 ex I was driving at the time of my first post. There seems to be 2 parts mentioned alot with this problem, the DRL module and the Multifunction switch ( turn signal + highbeam selector + washer / wipers .. switch) .... replace the DRL module first and if that doesn't cure it .. then next replace the MF switch. Let me know how it goes please :) - also the ex I am currently driving ( '97 4dr 4.0L ohv AWD ) ... the DRL module has failed in it, so I pulled the fuse and it is still operating like this, with no weird highbeam or other anomalies.

Back