• Register Today It's free!

Headlight lense and bulbs advice?

AGodlyCanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Nelson, BC. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
So I definitely went to do some upgrades to my headlights... As my headlights are absolute garbage. I will have to buy new lenses as mine are clouded as fk and I'm tired of polishing them.

Does anyone know of any crystal clear lenses that aren't the $400 diamond cut ones?

Also, I was thinking LED for less power draw. Is there any budget reccomended led bulbs?

I'm drawing a blank on lenses, and LEDs are just confusing so I figured I'd ask for advice.

Eventually I will be upgrading to a 130amp alternstor and doing the big 3... But for now I definitely need something to see better so I can actually not crash and continue my project lol

20181202_151531_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too would like some info provided on this thread.

use the shopping feature of Google. most people know how to use Google by now sorry about that. searching first gets results quicker. you can always go to the junk yard how knows you might get lucky

Same problems with my 1997 Explorer. Polishing did not ever seem to work for long.

The other 20+ year old lenses at the salvage yard have the same problem.

Tried getting more powerful bulbs, but this really did not help too much.

FINALLY, got some replacement lenses from Amazon. Very inexpensive...something like $25 for a new replacement set including new bulbs. Worked fantastic, and I did not ever recall the headlights working so well....

But now, five years later, the problem is creeping back.

Good luck with this.

use the shopping feature of Google. most people know how to use Google by now sorry about that. searching first gets results quicker. you can always go to the junk yard how knows you might get lucky

I definitely know how to use google, but coming here gets me pointed to products that are tried and tested by the explorer forum community.

Some shade tree advice:
Remove the headlight and do a nice polish then spray UV clear coat. Hopefully this will slow down the fade.
Put in 9007 bulbs. There are quite a few threads here on the subject.
Install a relay and bigger wire.
Live happily ever after.

Notice how other people are contributing?

I've been meaning to look at the relay thing. I know the 9007 swap is kind of frowned upon here though.
Not going to stop me from doing it anyway.

I was almost onside ring taking the whole lense off and polishing both sides as there's condensation getting in which means I'll have to reseal it anyway.

But a log of modern vehicles have totally clear lenses now, unlike our first Gen's that have the little lines that are supposed to help dissipate light.

For the lenses, just get whatever is cheapest on Amazon with a decent buyer rating.

You can get the harness from LMC Truck.

The problem with the 9007 bulb is that the filaments are oriented differently, so you get a weird light pattern.

The problem with polishing is this: There is a factory coating on the front of the lens that hardens the plastic. You can get the same deal for eyeglasses. Once that is polished off, you are just polishing the raw plastic. That's why it doesn't last.

I just replaced my housings yesterday with amazon specials, think I paid ~$60 for the pair.
The only issue I had was that one of the speed nut clips at the top of the housing was damaged and would not take the screw. I’ll have to replace that clip but other than that I am happy with them so far. They need to be aimed but it’s putting out way more light than before, it was getting dangerous lol

I would like to install the relay, maybe in the spring

okay, so ill look into new lenses... Im in Canada so it'll be like $120 for a pair :/
Ill definitely be going with the sylvania ultrabright 9007's (highest end ones) and tomorrow im going to replace all the marker lights and stuff with LEDS

Could someone explain this relay thing to me? Any suggestions?

From what I have read: the electrical path that the headlight wiring takes through the vehicle is long, resulting in some voltage loss. From battery to headlight switch, etc and up to the headlights.
The relay takes power straight from the battery with a relay to prevent this voltage loss.
This may be oversimplifying it a bit but I think that is the jist of it.

I also read that the voltage loss is most noticeable at idle.

Again this is my interpretation of something that I read, so it might be wrong but plenty of ppl here know way more than me about these trucks. Someone will explain it better than I did, i’m sure.

I thought I had a voltage loss until I replaced headlight lens covers...

I too would like some info provided on this thread.
Sorry for the necrobumping.
But i did some of my own work on these...

I took the housings apart. I used a screwdriver and a hammer and slowly chiseled around the edge of the lense.
Then i polished and cleaned them, inside and out as the reflector had a haze on it.
I then used a clear epoxy to reseal them and installed.
I have the Sylvania Ultra 9004s and the headlights arent baaaad... But at they're supplimented by aux driving lights now. One of these days ill either do the relay mod or just connect my 6" driving lights to my highbeams.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

Back