Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Headlight switch miniature light bulb

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by drawesome, January 8, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drawesome

drawesome New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2007 Eddie Bauer
      Hi all...

Can anyone help me find a replacement for the small light bulb that illuminates the headlight switch?

The dealership does not sell it, and they tell me the only way is to replace the entire switch at an $87 dollars cost..

The light is a small wire-terminal-base bulb sitting in a long white plastic tube casing that you just twist and remove from the switch...

i removed the bulb itself from the plastic tube and I am trying to buy one but I dont know what specs to look for...All I know is that it is a 12v wire based miniature bulb and looks like this: http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/2174-p-2351.html

Can anyone help me with what I should look for? Watts? mAMP? Dimentions? (MOL and MOD) and maybe where to get them from? or if someone had the chance to get it through the dealer ?

thank you

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
      Dallas, TX
      1995 Explorer XLT
      I put an LED in my '95 as the bulb was $12 and burned out after a week. I found a blue washer nozzle LED and routed it in there, it's not pretty but it works and after 5 years it's still lit.

The newer green lights are easier to match than my greenish-blue.

I had to get creative to make it work, but I drilled a hole in the bottom of the socket and ran the wires out through it for the LED to mount in the stock position and then ran the wires to the contacts to the socket/bulb holder assembly..if memory serves.

It's not very bright, but bright enough to find it in the dark.

4. drawesome

drawesome New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, MI
      2007 Eddie Bauer
      I am not familiar with LEDs but my understanding is I would have to install an LED behind every icon or symbol on the swith since the LED does not spread light and putting just one in the designated bulb position will not light up the entire switch...am I right? It would be too much work but like you said, it probably is worth it at the end unless I find a cheap replacement bulb