Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frederick Walker

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baur 4x4
As promised this is the second of my two threads. I'm not as concerned about this one as I am the idling issue and I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the issue of the headlights/dash lights coming on sometimes without turning on the lights. Long story short, some idiot decided to run a new wiring-harness for towing. They were running from the engine compartment to the rear of the truck. I decided that I needed to pull this harness out since I was running into a short somewhere that kept draining the battery. For some reason, they ran a yellow and brown wire into the tail light assembly and added a fourth bulb (cut a hole for it and everything). Needless to say, I pulled that all out and there are no towing lights hooked to the wiring harness anymore. The short is no longer there, but the headlights/dash lights still come on by themselves not all the time but intermittently. After the engine is shut off the go off after about thirty seconds and this has me really bumfuzzled. It's not draining the battery anymore, it's just got me going hmmm, what could be causing this? It is equipped with daytime running lights but with the switch off they still come on. Just really confused.

If you have the auto slider switch on your rearview mirror, the problem might be there. I had a failure in mine that seemed to create similar problems. Good luck with your resolution.

Back